Essay editing is a common thing when you are involved in the academic life and are overwhelmed with essays on different subjects including literature classes, language classes, psychology classes etc. A lot of websites are full of essay editing tips to help you achieve your goal. Every time you are faced with the task to edit your essay remember to have narrative essay
editing checklist. It will help you to avoid common mistakes and not to forget essential points. Look through essay editing checklist middle school and get to know more about editing! There a lot of things to remember while editing any paper and assignment that is why we have created a small article to help you doing that!
What is essay editing?
Editing is basically the process of preparing any written, audible, visual content for the readers by remaking it, deleting some parts, eliminating some mistakes etc. The modifications involved in the editing may be the following ones: correction, structuring, condensation and many others. The result of editing is a completed, comprehensible, accurate text for perception. The editing process is a two-tier one. It is the cooperation between the author and the editor. The important things for the editor are the general style of the essay and its main purpose – what the author wants to evoke in the reader’s mind and imagination.
You may edit an essay from different perspectives. You can correct grammar, stylistic, spelling mistakes as well as make the structure more coherent and the language more vivid and understandable. The topic sentences and the main argument always need revision because they are the foremost hooks for the audience.
How to edit an essay in an efficient way: basic steps
- Skim through the essay in a swift manner and identify some conspicuous mistakes that a common reader may notice. Reiteration, grammar, spelling and syntactic mistakes are not hard to detect.
- The second step would be searching for stylistic mistakes. The general style of the essay depends on its type. The literary essay may have a more elevated style that includes sophisticated language and rigorous structure pattern. The essay on the free topic sometimes tends to be less restricted which means you are free to add some colloquial phrases but not a lot. The persuasive essay would encompass a wide range of persuasive devices like rhetorical tropes and figures of speech, rhetoric questions, addresses to the audience, at times statistical data and the scientific outcomes in order to persuade the reader to your point of view.
- Take breaks between revision sections. You need to evaluate your work from the distance in order not to be too prejudiced.
- Next, take care of the structure of the essay. It usually encompasses three core parts. The transition between paragraphs should be smooth and coherent – the reader should easily follow the thought. To make everything clear, use cohesive devices like substitution, ellipsis, omission, introductory phrases etc.
- Proofread, again and again, to make the paper a perfect piece of writing. If you still need essay help, give your paper to somebody else to have a cursory glance. It happens quite often when after a thorough work somebody else detect several minor errors but still errors!
Typical mistakes while editing papers
The main mistake is when you add your own style and point of view to the essay that is not yours! Skipping grammar and spelling mistakes while trying to make the style perfect. Being too meticulous and deleting the whole paragraphs or sentences that are important to the understanding of the main idea! Essay editing checklist high school will help you to avoid some mistakes. In addition, find some essay editing practice worksheets to practice in editing papers!
Good luck with you editing and do not forget to have your own essay editing checklist that will help you to create a fully-fledged essay!