The main peculiarity of English homework is usually close reading and even re-reading. When you are assigned with this type of paper you are supposed to interpret and transmit all the “covert” information to the reader with the help of special details revealed in the text. The difficulty of writing paper of English lies in the fact that you must have a strong command of the English language to put all your thoughts coherently and correctly on the paper.
Common types of English papers
Before listing common types of English papers we would like to mention that in different cases you will be assigned with either reading and analyzing one work of literature or juxtaposing and comparing several pieces of writing of the same author or of various ones. Very paper is a great shot to show that you know more about the writer, content and context of the piece of literature. You may apply lecture/seminar material or some findings of your own. There is also the possibility that you will be given with a particular book or in other cases this will be a work of your own choice.
- Close reading paper. In such typed of assignments you are expected to not only understand the content of the novel/essay/short story/poem, but also to search for subtle details that open up a new vision on a work and a message that the author wanted to convey.
- Comparative paper. If you rise to a challenge to write a comparison of two texts it is essential to keep in mind that different texts may have an abundance of similarities and vice versa two, at first glance, alike works of literature may encompass a bunch of discrepancies.
- Response paper. A response paper requires a solution to a problem or an answer to a proposed question. But do not be limited to just a response, it is better to provide further discussion or to raise another question or to initiate a survey.
- Research paper. In a research paper you always get appropriate directions from your professor. While conducting a survey you are supposed to used additional sources like articles, biographies, other research papers and what not. The bibliography should be included in this work as well.
! The size of the paper may depend on your professor’s requirements and the type of the paper !
How to write English paper: useful tips for writing
- Decide upon a passage you are going to interpret (if it is not a poem). It should be the most interesting and controversial.
- Do not make repetitions, use more synonyms and synonymic constructions.
- Do not use colloquial words and word combinations.
- Always prove your hypothesis by giving an example from the text.
- Make text coherent.
- Use academic style and clichés like “Here it is better to dwell on…”, “From this perspective…”, “One more example of this is…” etc.
- Stick to cause and effect relationships.
- Highlight the significance of the chapter that you analyze.
- Avoid going into detail when it comes to plot summary.
- Use present tense while writing your paper in English.
- Find some similar works to have a template. Turn to paper of english 2014, english paper 2 or ks3 english test papers, even Engineering Papers may help you with the structure and even Dissertation Methodology.
- You may start with the phrases like “According to...”, “It is common knowledge that...”, “Taking into account...”, “There is no wonder that...” etc.
- You may finish your work by using the following phrases “Given these facts...”, “To conclude...”, “To give you a snippet of…”, “Here is a regurgitation of...”, “Here is a run through of…” etc.
- Using too many colloquial words.
- Including long citations from the texts.
- Poor punctuation.
- Providing thesis without examplification.
- A lot of repeted words and grammatical constructions.
- Using past tenses.
- Forgetting about conclusion.
Potential topics for English papers
“The principle of cyclicity in “Wurtering heights” by Emile Bronte”
"The typology of female characters in the legacy of Turgenev "
"Modeling in postmodern text (Jorge Luis Borges)";
The motive of the road to the temple in the "Canterbury Tales" by J. Chaucer”