It is undeniable that modern world is oversaturated with information, which makes it harder to communicate with your audience and express yourself via writing. Simply typed text with no visual elements would tire anyone fast. That is why graphic presentations quickly became popular among college professors – such a way of delivering information occurred to be more effective. Listeners want to see the accompanying photos, clear diagrams, competent drawings, view a subject-related video clip, or even listen to a song if the topic of discussion is music. And here you cannot do without the skills of using multimedia presentations.
At present, there are several different services and programs that can help you create presentations. The most popular one is Microsoft PowerPoint. Everyone can work with this program. It is really versatile, convenient, and easy to use. In this article, we will try to reveal some secrets of how to create a PowerPoint presentation winning and eye-catching.
Currently, it’s hard to even imagine a demonstration of something (e. g., a tutorial o) without using a powerpoint presentation services. And this is not accidental because a person is able to absorb about 10-70% of the material he has heard, 20-72% of what he has seen, and 65-85% of what he has seen and heard at the same time. The slideshows have become indispensable in various spheres of our activities, including design, marketing, pedagogy, coaching, economics, and engineering. Their use is a key to success to some extent as it opens new paths in the development of thinking, creative abilities, and provides new opportunities for learning and creative growth.
But how can you make a great slideshow if you are not a professional designer? You do not necessarily have to be good at drawing, working with Photoshop and spending hours creating slides to make a powerful PowerPoint presentation. You can distinguish a good slideshow in an easy way as it helps to keep the listeners’ attention and displays presented material clearly. With a bad one, you look at the bright slides and your brain tries to process the text while the speaker is mumbling something concerning his speech.
Here are some presentation layout tips how to make a successful PowerPoint presentation:
- Choose a topic. Your topic should be narrow enough to offer a solution to the problem at the end. Otherwise, you will get a long story about nothing.
- Define an aim. Key purpose of any PowerPoint presentation begins with a question – “how do I want to change listeners’ behavior?”
- Create a scenario. Viewer should understand what exactly he will receive or find out with an introductory slide. Form a motivation for listeners not to leave the second slide. Explain benefits of displayed information or cause a tension.
- Form a great conclusion. Give a brief summary or conclusion at the end. A person should understand what he can do immediately after your speech.
- Refuse from the ready PowerPoint themes and templates. Don’t use a ready theme or template; create something of your own instead. It is not necessary to have design skills, there are a lot of programs and services that will do all work for you.
- Use a good combination of colors. One of the most common mistakes of people unfamiliar with the latest trends in web design is that they choose the most unfortunate combination of colors - brown, dark blue, burgundy, or mustard. If you use them with each other and additionally to an unsuccessfully chosen font, the image seems to come to us from the 90’s. They can only be used in combination with other, more pleasant and “clean” shades (so-called, flat colors).
- Use no more than 5 colors. Do not turn your PowerPoint presentation into a rainbow even if your report is devoted to a children’s topic. A large number of colors interfere with reading and perception of the meaning of slides. Select no more than 2-3 shades from the toolbar and take into account the main background color.
- Keep the contrast of text and background. The text should be readable on your slides. Otherwise, your audience will be uncomfortable and instead of listening to you they will waste their time trying to figure out what you have written.
- Give up shadows, gradients, and other old-fashioned effects.
- Waive poor-quality images. Low-quality images will spoil your presentation look. Spend more time but find images that will be pleasant to look at.
- Use advanced fonts. Calibri, Comic Sans, Times New Roman can be used but they are boring and do not produce the desired effect on the audience. Make a choice in favor of up-to-date fonts. For example, Helvetica, Open Sans or Roboto. These fonts are simple enough, but they are suitable for any project.
- The text and images on the slides have to be aligned. Don’t write a long test for a slide. Each slide should be devoted to one paragraph of your report.
- Highlight important phrases in a different color. To catch the attention of the audience for a particular phrase, select a slide and apply a different shade, italic, bold, or underline for the phrase.
Now, you have found out how to do a PowerPoint presentation. In any case, quality is the basis of your material. The more interesting your report is, the more effective your slideshow will be. Good luck!