“Where there is a will, there is a way. If there is a chance in a million that you can do something, anything, to keep what you want from ending, do it. Pry the door open or, if need be, wedge your foot in that door and keep it open,” a quote by Pauline Kael. It has been one of the quotes I live by. Growing up in Ghana (West Africa) have always wanted to be a nurse. I started imitating what nurses do at a younger age, even role play as a nurse with my dolls and sometimes with friends.
My Grandma was a nurse and I watched her care for her patients and some family relatives who were ill. Back then in Ghana it was hard to choose your choice of career because whatever your Parent profession is, you will also have to go into that profession. My Father majored in business, so he wanted me to major in business. I had no choice but to major in business. When I had the opportunity to join my Mom in the States, I enrolled in community college to continue my education. In the community college, I decided to not abandon my dream of being a nurse, so my goal was to take prerequisite for nursing school and to do well in those classes and earning a good GPA for easy transfer to Nursing school. Recently,
Personal goals for Nursing
- Every make sure am able to think critically, that is to think clearly and make rational decisions
- Ensure that I good grades on quizzes, exams etc. But not only good grades but also make sure I understand the nursing concept.
The following are the things to do in order to attain my goals
- Staying healthy not being health will have negative impact on my education.
- Avoiding Procastination, as they always say procastination is a thief of time. I have to do my assignment on time and not wait to the last minute to study for exam.
- Asking my Professor for help when am having hard time understanding a course or assignment.
- Being organized will help me reduce stress.
- They are many resources to help me with my studies, things like flashcards, nursing videos on the topic of interest will help me study. I will look up for videos for topics that are to be thought in that particular week. Moreover, youtube has a lot of videos on topics for a nursing course. The evolve website is also helpful when it comes to studying about a particular chapter to be tackle in that week.
- Not spend too much time on social media.