What Is Stem?
STEM is a curriculum based on the idea of educating students in four specific disciplines — science, technology, engineering and mathematics (What is STEM Education?, n.d.)
The importance of stem education. All this effort is to meet a need. According to a report by the website STEMconnector.org, by 2018, projections estimate the need for 8.65 million workers in STEM-related jobs. The manufacturing sector faces an alarmingly large shortage of employees with the necessary skills — nearly 600,000. The field of cloud computing alone will have created 1.7 million jobs between 2011 and 2015, according to the report. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that by 2018, the bulk of STEM careers will be:
- Computing – 71 percent
- Traditional Engineering – 16 percent
- Physical sciences – 7 percent
- Life sciences – 4 percent
- Mathematics – 2 percent (What is STEM Education?, n.d.)
This all means that anyone seeking a degree in Information Technology will always have a career and that there is always room for growth. As you can see computing has a 71 percentage in computing work and it is growing every year.
What is computer literacy and why is it important to be computer literate?
Computer literacy is the knowledge and the ability to use a computer efficiently with advanced programing (businessdictionary, n.d.). I feel the its very important to become computer literate. The world of technology is changing very face. So, it’s very important to have computer skills because we will need it for work. When we work in an office you will need the skills of using Microsoft Office and must likely a cloud system to share files with other co-workers. According to “Alyson Doyle” it is better to have computer skills to open yourself up to the job market. Using social media, QuickBooks and Graphic design skills are examples of some skills (Doyle, 2019).
What are some of the ways that technology has affected society?
Technology has changed the way we communicate with each other. Here are three examples. First example would be the way we send mail to each other. Before we used to send mail correspondence to each other with pen and paper and an envelope. Now we send each other email correspondence. Doing this we save paper and ink and time (aginginplace, 2020). The second example is the way we pay bills and transfer money. Before we had to go to the bank to take out money to pay someone and transfer money from one account to another. Now we use PayPal, Venmo and Zelle to do banking and money transfers. The last example would be the way we track or health. Before smartwatches we had to go to the doctors to check our vitals and heartbeat. Now smart watches can check for our heartbeat and check or track record when we walk and what intake of calories we eat and how much water we drink (gcfglobal, N.D.).
What are some ways you might use technology in your career?
The way technology can help in my career. I will give three examples of how it can help me in my career. First example would be by the way I receive payment for my services using PayPal or Square payment. The second example would be by sharing files threw a cloud-based system. The third example would be by using your phone as a organizer in your calendar (www.content.wisestep.com, N.D.).
- aginginplace. (2020, Janurary ). Retrieved from www.aginginplace.org: https://www.aginginplace.org/technology-in-our-life-today-and-how-it-has-changed/
- businessdictionary. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.businessdictionary.com/: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/computer-literacy.html
- Doyle, A. (2019, January 30). careertoolbelt. Retrieved from www.careertoolbelt.com: https://www.careertoolbelt.com/computer-skills-that-will-help-you-get-hired/
- gcfglobal. (N.D.). Retrieved from edu.gcfglobal.org: https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/wearables/how-can-wearables-affect-our-lives/1/
- What is STEM Education? (n.d.). Retrieved 1 12, 2020, from https://www.livescience.com/43296-what-is-stem-education.html
- www.content.wisestep.com. (N.D.). Retrieved from wisestep: https://content.wisestep.com/use-technology-work-effectively/