This research was conducted to find out more about the relationship and the effect between job satisfaction (X1) and leadership behavior (X2) on employee engagement (Y). Data analysis utilized in this study consist of; data quality test, classical assumption test, multiple regression analysis and hypothesis testing. While, the amount of participants in this study were 50 (employee) at Cipete Coffee shop (South Jakarta) by using the Incidental method and they should experienced of working in the company as a barista. The results of this study indicate that there is a significant positive relationship between the two independent variables namely job satisfaction (JS) and leadership behavior (LB) on employee engagement, result details from this study are seen as follows: that JS (X1) has an influence towards employee engagement. and LB (X2) has an influence towards employee engagement. Therefore, the higher the level of job satisfaction and leadership behavior with employees at coffee shop in Cipete South Jakarta, the higher the level of employee engagement.
According to (Macey, 2009) engagement is an attachment, involvement, commitment, a desire to contribute, a sense of belonging, loyalty, and a sense of pride to their job and also to the company. One condition which could affect employee engagement is job satisfaction, employees who have a high sense of job satisfaction with the firm will improve the general behavior, one of which is stay in other words employees will still work in the organization although there are opportunities to work elsewhere. In addition, this kind of satisfaction could save money and increase profits by putting a focus on increasing job satisfaction for the employees, therefore the company should not have to waste money for recruiting the new one.
Positive relationships between companies and employees need to be established in order to improve their performance. When employees have a good relationship with the company, then employees will provide the best for the company. If the level of employee engagement is high in a company then the company will experience a lot of positive impacts. On the contrary, if the level of employee engagement is low, the productivity of the company itself will impacted too.
Engaged employees find personal meaning in their work, take pride in what they do and believe that the organization will appreciate what they do. Moreover, other condition that could affect employee engagement is Leadership behavior.With the different marketing mix that is used by each competitors, consumers tend to be more considerate to choose their choices. Pizza Hut or other competitors cannot force the consumer to purchase the product. As also explained by Firdaus (2012) that the exixtence of fast food is well known by all of people. This leads to fiece competition among fast food sector in attracting customers for buying their product and make that product became favorite for some people indirectly.
Awareness of employee engagement behavior is important in the organization. No exception in the world of technological business which are growing rapidly, one of which is Barista in Cipete South Jakarta. As we now that, coffee shop business in south Jakarta are growing rapidly since 2014.
Employee engagement is linked to a greater variety of business consequences, faster performance, higher quality and decreased turnover. When associated with personal consequences including reduced stress levels and conflicts, better health and greater satisfaction. Attachment is considered an essential element inherent in a healthy workforce. Therefore, the researcher conclude that employee engagement is a psychological state or positive attitude such as commitment, attachment, and others, that could build greater performance, motivation, and effort to the employee to assist the company to reach their objectives.
Job Satisfaction is something that is individual. Each individual has a different level of satisfaction in accordance with the values that apply to him. The higher the assessment of the perceived activity in accordance with the wishes of the individual, the higher his satisfaction with the activity. Thus, evaluation satisfaction that describes a person for feeling his attitude happy or not happy, satisfied or not satisfied in work. A person with high job satisfaction has a positive attitude towards his work. While a person who is not satisfied will have a negative attitude towards his job.
Leadership Behavior is a situation where an organization is going through a tough time. Employees usually look at leaders for guidance. How leaders communicate and whether leaders’ actions align with what they say send a strong message to employees that would shape their perception on leadership effectiveness and significantly affects their engagement with work and the organization (Wiley, 2010). When times are good, leaders can create employee loyalty and organizational pride through positive behaviors, such as honest communications.
Based on the results of data analysis and discussion that has been described in the previous chapter, it can be concluded as follows:
- Job satisfaction has a significant and positive effect partially on employee engagement in Coffee shop in cipete, South Jakarta. Which has the understanding that the higher job satisfaction of the employees then the level of engagement will increase as well.
- leadership behavior has a significant and positive effect partially on employee engagement in Coffee shop in cipete, South Jakarta. This indicates that the higher leadership behavior of the employees, hence the level of engagement will also increase
- Abraham, S. (2012). Job Satisfaction as an antecedent to employee engagement. SIES Journal of Management, 27-36.
- Ali, S., & Faroqi, Y. A. (2014). Effect of work overload on job satisfaction, effect of job satisfaction on employee performance and employee engagement. International Journal of Multidisciplinary science and engineering, 22-30.
- Anggraini, L., Siti, E. A., & Prasetya, A. (2016). The factor that effect Employee Engagement. 183-191.
- Cheese, p., Thomas, R., & Craig, E. (2007). The talent powered organization : Strategies for globalization, talen management and high performance. 170.
- Cheese, p., Thomas, R., & Craig, E. (2007). The talent powered organization Strategies for globalization, talent management and high performance. Kogan Page.
- Colbert, E. M. (2012). The Impact of Leadership Behavior on Employee Engagement at A Chemical Manufacturing company in the United States.
- Cook, S. (2008). The essential guide to employee engegement: Btter business performance through staff satisfaction.
- Dana, E. J. (2016). Examining the Relationship between Perceived Leadership Behaviors and Employee.
- Deepa, E., Palaniswamy, R., & Kuppusamy, S. (2014). Effect of performance appraisal system un organizaional commitment, Job satisfaction and productivity. Contemporary Management Research, 72-82.
- Ellen, S. (2014). Sampling technique and Determination of Sample. Slovin’s Formula Sampling techniques.
- Fernandez, S. (2008). Examining the effects of leadership behavior on employee. Public performance & Management Review, 175-205.
- Fernandez, S. (2008). Examining the effects of leadership behavior on employee. Public Performance & Management Review.
- Garg, k. D., & Mishra, M. (2018). Job Satisfaction and work Engagement A Study using Private Sector Bank Manager. Advances in Developing Human Resources,, 58-71.
- Ghozali, I. (2011). Aplikasi analisis multivariate dengan program IBM SPSS 19.
- Goodwin, L. (2018, January 17). The spruce eats. Retrieved from https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-a-barista-765030
- Grojean, M. W., Resick, C. J., Dickson, M. W., & Smith, D. B. (2004). Leaders, values and organizational climate : Examining leadership strategies for establishing an organizational climate regarding ethic. Journal of Business Ethics, 223-241.
- Kahn , W. A. (2013). PSYCHOLOGICAL CONDITIONS OF PERSONAL ENGAGEMENT AND DISENGAGEMENT AT WORK.
- Kinicki, A., & Kreitner, R. (2014). Oranizational Behavior.
- Li, Y. (2016). The impact of Leadership Behavior on Employee Engagement.
- Luthans, F. (2012). Organizational behavior an evidence-based approach 12th edition. Organizational behavior: an edivence-based approach.
- Macey. (2009). In M. B. William H, & Young, Employee Engagement : Rools for Analysis, Practice and Competitive Advantage.
- MCbain, R. (2007). The practice of Engagement : Research into current employee engagement practice.
- Rachmawati, M. (2010). Employee Engagement Sebagai Kunci Meningkatkan Kinerja Karyawan. International Journal of business and Management, 52-65.
- Robbins, S. (2013). Organizational Behavior. Zhurnal Eksprimental’ noi i Teoriticheskai.