At the moment we have many things in common with Ancient Greece, but the most important thing that immediately comes to mind is the Olympic Games. Do Generation Z know about this? Generation Z is undoubtedly the youngest generation on Earth right now. The Olympics at the same time is the oldest organized event that still exists nowadays. Putting these facts together, EduBirdie wanted to know how they feel about one another. The Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games officially opened on 4 February 2022 and right after it started, we organized a survey to find out the Gen Z thoughts about it. You need more papers on that particular topic? Get help with our fast & affordable college paper writing services.
EduBirdie surveyed 2,014 participants from Generation Z. The analyzed sample was 52% female, 47% male with 44% ethnic/racial minority (15% non-Hispanic Black, 16% Hispanic, 13% other or multiple races) and an average age of 17.6.
- 61% of Gen Z were not interested in the Olympics, even though they knew about it.
- 88% never watched a single piece from the Games and heard about it only on social media.
- 23% were interested in the performances of the sportsmen from their local state only.
- 54% think that the Olympics are archaic but still an important part of the world’s culture.
- 31% responded that the Olympics might as well be canceled, and they wouldn't notice.
- 39% said that the amount of sports included in the program should be reviewed.
- 32% think that e-sport should be added to the Olympic program.
- 71% think that the Paralympic Games are not getting enough attention compared to the original Olympics.
Looking at the results of the survey, the EduBirdie team made several conclusions. Despite the great involvement and coverage in different media, we emphasized the importance that the Olympic Games need to attract the attention of a younger generation. Another highlight is that the committee should add new directions for competition between countries, for example e-sport.