It is hard to define exactly how much writing is expected form an average student during one schooling year. Anyway, the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) tries to define certain statistics each year. Results of this survey, conducted by Lafayette College, are fascinating. 38% of students write more than 10 papers that are between 5 and 19 pages, and 18% have written a paper more than 20 pages in length. This data does not take into account learners writing dissertations or theses – most voluminous kinds of assignments. Dealing with such a huge amount of writing tasks students often ask the question "How to prevent plagiarism from happening?"
Is It Important?
Such a heavy workload in regard of writing intimidates students and even makes them anxious. And it’s not all about writing skills, time-consuming research, and trouble formatting up to the APA or MLA style. We are here talking about plagiarism issue – the biggest fear of all learners out there. Just have a look at the numbers that say it all: during the last year, 143 students were expelled for plagiarism, as the Higher Education Academy and Joint Information Systems Committee report. This issue is taken extremely seriously nowadays, to an extent where professors are forced to use plagiarism lawyer services.
The Core of “Plagiarism” Term
So, what is plagiarism? Basically, it is a process of stealing articles and presenting them as your own publications. Not only it offends real authors of stolen content, it is also a total disrespect for a professor who expected an original assignment, but not a copied piece of someone else’s intellectual property. But what if we tell you that plagiarizing can happen unintentionally from a student’s side? How? Easy as it is.
Imagine a typical situation at a class setting: a group of learners gets an assignment, for example to write a three-page essay about an impact of global warming on Arctic climate. Each member of the group gets an exactly same topic. Just as each of them will probably use Google and research that topic. Which means, they will paste similar search tags like “global warming” and “Arctic climate” getting same results. You might have already understood what we are trying to say. There are not that many ways to write about same issue, and even those students who would never cheat are at risk of being accused. That is why you should find out ways to prevent plagiarism ASAP.
Preventing Plagiarism: Techniques to Master
No need to panic or try to convince your professor award you with special task instead of completing same assignment as the rest of the class. Instead, find out how to stop plagiarism in your papers and keep calm every time you turn anything in. Here are the top skills you have to master to prevent plagiarism:
- rewriting/paraphrasing. The simplest, yet the most important method of plagiarism prevention. Find a source, read it (yes, actually read it), make your conclusions and write them down or use a rewording tool. Here you go – original, written by you and only content is ready!
- citing. Classic technique that has been helping scholars and authors play it safe for years. Especially efficient, when working with literary source containing plenty of terms with no accurate synonyms. Paraphrasing is required as well, you have to formulate sentences yourself, but mention the source that inspired you as well.
- quoting. Probably, the simplest one so far. Here, a student can copy and paste a few lines from the primary source and format it with quotation marks (“…”). The key phrase here is “few lines” – inserting paragraphs as quotations will not impress your tutor.
- referring to your own papers. If you have already worked on related topic, using your own research is totally fine. Just do not forget to cite it as any other literary work, so that your professor would not think you try to turn it an old paper.
- hiring a professional. This technique might be a wisest one. If you get an assignment that distracts you from your academic or personal priorities or just need professional help, why not delegate it to a person approaching career in academic writing field? Try it once and you won’t let go this way of preventing plagiarism and dealing with boring research papers!
Useful Student-Friendly Software
Now, when you are informed on how to prevent plagiarism from appearing in your papers, we should discuss one more aspect of dealing with stolen intellectual property. That is plagiarism-detecting software. But you need to use only proven software, because in the Internet you can find a lot of ways to trick applications (for example, how to avoid plagiarism on turnitin). Similarity index (percentage that displays ratio of original text to copied parts) differs greatly depending on what software you use to check papers. The thing is various checkers use different algorithms to go through Internet looking for matches to you essay or research paper.
EduBirdie plagiarism checker is a modern, easy-to-use and legit originality checker. Before coming up with our own uniqueness checking tool, we have carefully examined the market of copywriting tools and find an blanc spot there. The studentship definitely needed an online tool that is: a) credible, b) free c) developed with an implementation of up-to-the-minute examination algorithms. So, here it is! Not only you can use EduBirdie to detect copied content in writing, you can also get an immediate professional assistance there. Namely, our professional editors and writers would be happy to amend your paper until it reaches 100% uniqueness.
Detect plagiarism in your paper
Although being a student is challenging and prevent copying papers is complicated, keep in mind that there are people always ready to help you out. Do not hesitate to consult with your tutor regarding required originality index for an assignment. But what is the most important – do not be afraid and reach out for professional help. For students of 21st century this is not a cheating anymore, but a necessity due the number of academic tasks adding to athletics, hobbies, family issues, social events, and personal life. Getting a high-quality, absolutely original, and carefully formatted essay written in your personal writing style is not a fantasy anymore. Order one and assure yourself today!