Nowadays public speaking has adopted more formats than in the early days when communication was more rigid. It happened due to a number of reasons, including the advent of digital media but also due to a powerful trend affecting our entire society, especially in the US, of focusing more on work done by people, their skills or message delivered rather than on formal aspects of formal clothes, overly formal and polite speech, manners, etc.
Obviously, the kind of speech delivered depends heavily on the type of event, circumstances, or audience but it’s increasingly common to deliver funny speeches on fairly serious and informative speech topics. Moreover, integrating humorous remarks into otherwise serious speeches when circumstances allow this is considered a smart and effective strategy to engage an audience and create a more casual, relaxed atmosphere. Below, we provide a comprehensive list of funny topics and some useful guidelines for choosing funny topics and delivering such a speech.
Where Funny Speech is Appropriate
Speech is defined as formal talk delivered to an audience and associated with certain purpose. As for the importance of humor in such speeches, it is well known that laughter is an extremely effective approach in creating connection and in forming positive image, all of which may be exploited by speakers to their advantage. Humor also shows their human dimension or warmer side of personality. There are multiple varieties of speech:
- good persuasive speech topics, as name implies, are intended to persuade audience and make it accept or consider speaker’s point of view or to argue in favor of certain position. These are fact-based or argument – based discourses but they could also appeal to emotions and moral values, depending on circumstances. Funny topics are not always welcome here but may be used as well if done accurately.
- motivational speech is meant to motivate the audience and often, inspire for action. Funny topics will fit here the best.
- ceremonial speeches or commemorative speeches are normally associated with important events for community and pay tribute to person, institution, place, community, event, idea, etc. by celebrating shared values and condemning shared faults. We have prepared topics for commemorative speeches for you. This is also the kind of speech college students deliver when graduating, where funny topics will fit well.
- an expository speech is an informative speech or discussion explaining in detail an idea, theory, process, event, and not very appropriate for funny topics.
- demonstrative speeches or demonstration speeches explain how to complete a task or process. We have an extensive list of demonstrative speech topics. You may insert a joke here or there and try funny topics to decrease tension.
To a certain degree, funny speech topics or at least several humorous remarks may be used appropriately with any of discourse types mentioned above. Obviously, all of these discourse types have more important goals that must be respected but if these goals are achieved, then humor only enhances their value.
It is hard to generalize but funny speech and especially funny topics are normally inappropriate for events that explicitly require very professional discourse like when presenting your thesis, when time is limited, when dealing with delicate ethical problems or grave problems, like euthanasia, genocide, discrimination, serious diseases, natural disasters, ecological problems, etc.
Surprisingly, funeral speech might be good occasion to use some funny topics demonstrating its extremely wide applicability, but of course, extreme care is advised here. Also note that, although this is true in the US, other cultures might be way more restrictive in this respect, don’t experiment.
How to Deliver an Effective Funny Speech?
If you have questions on how to writing an informative speech, it might be useful to start with these simple tips listed below:
- Choose your funny topic – you could start outright with funny presentation topics, or think about aspects of your serious subject where you could introduce some good humor. It won’t hurt writing down your ideas.
- Consider your audience – adjusting your funny topic, content, style to audience, circumstances, environment, type of event is essential in terms of both message and humor. Even such details count as the premises, moderator, date, what speeches preceded yours, etc.
- Investigate strategies to evoke laughter – this could be ridiculing oneself or situation, identifying some paradoxes that demonstrate how unreasonable we are, used to exaggeration or dramatize minor issues to the point of absurdity, play roles like that of evil or paranoid person, while judging about something. It is again, very hard to generalize but it would be useful to watch some standup comedians doing all these to inspire for a funny topic.
- Read speech to somebody and watch their reaction. Start with telling your funny topic. Humor is both universal and also, very individual – you don’t want to be the only one laughing. Note that overthinking your jokes may destroy their effect by making them appear too complex or artificial. Similarly, good jokes that are analyzed and dissected may not appear funny after a while and can be unjustly discarded. Ask them for remarks and help if needed.
- Practice your speech multiple times in front of someone to gain confidence and good mastery of your content and speech manner - pauses, tempo, intonation. Imagine how audience will react on your funny topic.
How to Choose a Funny Speech Topic Appropriate for an Event
Selecting matching funny topics for given events is often one of the most challenging tasks. While certain events (professional or academic) imply talking about predetermined subjects, for many other events, speakers have to pick funny topics themselves. Some good strategies to approach this are to browse online for lists of funny topics, watch some famous examples on YouTube or TED, or think about some funny “how to” speech ideas.
When looking for funny debate topics, it might be useful to focus on some traditional or original and interesting dualities: boys vs girls, tea vs coffee, vegetarian vs carnivorous, KFC vs McDonald’s. However, avoid picking sensitive topics (atheists vs Christians, Republicans vs Democrats) even if you are sure you are the holder of ultimate truth, otherwise, your funny debate will turn into somewhere else. Not that there cannot be funny controversial topics but controversies should be more innocent, not the ones heavily polarizing society.
As for funny impromptu speech topics, these might be your concern if you are organizer of some event where speakers choose funny topic on the spot and expand on it. In this case, you might also consult funny topics used in similar previous events and learn which ones worked best and led to most funny topics and inspiring talks.
100 Unique and Funny Speech Topics
Below is a list of 100 funny topics for you to choose from or inspire you for creating your own original and funny topics to impress a teacher.
Persuasive Funny Topics:
- Growing up is a trap – don’t fall for it.
- Humans – creatures on two legs and unthankful.
- There are those who only smoke to piss off others.
- Why everything that is prohibited becomes twice as tempting.
- Why squirrels are better than people - funny topic.
- In God we trust, all others bring data.
- Why men should not be deprived of their leisure time watching sports.
- Children are the only ones benefiting from marriage.
- Proof that cats think we are their slaves - funny topic for older audience.
- “If you think you are too insignificant to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito” (Dalai Lama).
- Frequency of eating soup as function of mustache type.
- Lumberjack beards make men look more friendly to animals.
- Flat Earth believers and GPS – complicated relationship.
- Truth will set you free, but first, it will piss you off.
- Penguins are swallows who eat before sleep.
- Stupid villains are less dangerous than smart ones, perspectives about topic.
- Twitter and presidency, compatible or not?
- Reusing birthday congratulation messages does not make me a monster.
- All drivers were once pedestrians.
- Vegetarian food proved non-lethal to meat-eaters.
Informative and Funny Speech Topics:
- Underestimated art of chewing gum and keeping silent.
- Proofs that we are living in simulation.
- We are living in a simulation on a reboot loop.
- Life is too short to take it seriously, ideas on topic.
- 42 – meaning of life universe and everything
- If you want something you’ve never had, do something you’ve never did.
- Life’s aim is to always be looking for temptations.
- Love does not die of starvation but often, of indigestion.
- Second mouse gets the cheese, perspectives over topic.
- Why grass is greener on the other side.
- Why everyone needs favorite kind of problem.
- “Most people would succeed in small things if they were not troubled with great ambitions” (Henry Longfellow)
- What Tibetan monks would say about your shopping habits.
- 5 situations in which not to turn the other cheek.
- Offering soft toys as presents is effective in calming superiors.
- Banging your head against the wall helps reduce stress but balance is key.
- Not washing hands after toilet as predictor of rebellion in children.
- Modern art is confusing - funny topic for art gallery opening.
- If baby shampoo does not irritate eyes why do adults use shampoo that does?
- Bread always falls with butter downwards.
- How much craziness counts as originality?
- Because of e-books, people cannot use an excuse that reading leads to deforestation.
- True friendships survive auto-correction mistakes.
- Dunning-Kruger effect - correlation between incompetence and confidence in knowledge.
- When you are dead, you don’t feel anything – others suffer. Same as when you are stupid.
- Clowns are scary for a reason, serious and funny topic.
- Cats are proof people enjoy complicating their lives.
- Behind every man is a woman rolling her eyes.
- Human nature tells Pinocchio would have kept lying if nobody knew.
- Ignorance is happiness.
Funny Speech Topics For Any Occasion:
- Stop worshiping the busy – busy doing what?
- As stated in “Pulp fiction,” ketchup beats mayonnaise.
- Reading articles about procrastination is another form of procrastination.
- Procrastination without borders – uniting people worldwide.
- 50 shades of guilt – do dogs really regret as much as they make it appear?
- A chicken is a way for an egg to get another egg.
- Being completely honest is a straight road to hell.
- Hell - could it be so bad considering so many good friends would be waiting for us there?
- Turning baseball caps around for originality.
- "If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it" (Baz Luhrmann).
- Way to a man's heart goes through the stomach.
- Innovative karma concept – everything bad you do to others they must have deserved in previous lives.
- If you intend telling someone what you think about them, make it a joke, otherwise they’ll kill you.
- May our lives one day be as we pretend on Facebook, ideas on the topic
- Smart people seem crazy in the eyes of dumb.
- It’s a wonder realizing how weird we are and that we still have friends.
- Bats look like angels to mice – be careful with your idols.
- Turning off TV as a means to lessen grip of fear from terrorism.
- Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday (Dale Carnegie).
Inspirational And Funny Topics:
- Human nature - old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.
- I am online, therefore I exist.
- Short guide for beginners – begin!
- Main goal in life should be to die young as late as possible.
- Why we don’t snap green beans with our grandmothers anymore.
- People shouldn’t compare Freddie Mercury with God – he’s cool and everything but he’s no Freddie Mercury.
- Pretending that you are helping children allows to play with their toys.
- Reaction to slow Internet as a way of testing a person’s character.
- Customer is rarely right – different perspective on established values.
- Pot for creative writing.
Funny Speech Topics To Get Attention:
- Responding to email spam can lead to surprising stories.
- Why animals deserve more rights than some people.
- Crows as alternative pets smarter than parrots, perspectives on the topic
- Art of being annoying – it really takes talent.
- What qualities unite people with fog as their favorite kind of weather.
- Rationale behind eating the tastiest part of the meal first.
- Removing your birthday date on Facebook and getting angry on people for not congratulating you is ethically wrong.
- How sibling would have made me less egoistic.
- Why people don’t believe in horoscopes but still keep reading them.
- Blaming others for your problems as a means of achieving relief.
- Learning through mistakes – the only kind of learning for most people.
- If you want to remember your partner’s birthday forever, just forget it once.
- Honey badgers as an example of fearlessness for us, humans.
- Robots will make us lazier than ever.
- Naming babies with names of hurricanes is risky.
- Would there be fewer divorces if partners saw each other once or twice a week?
- Cooking together as a way of testing romantic compatibility.
- How dressing your most hated clothes influences you throughout the day.
- Brainstorming while being drunk for getting fresh perspectives over the topic.
- How comfortability of your shoes influences your friendliness and politeness.
- “A moment alone with the phone” policy as a means of ensuring peace and harmony in young families.
Prepare Your Speech With Edubirdie
The list provided above should be helpful if you are looking for funny speech topics for college students. In fact, our service, Edubirdie, can help at various steps of your speech writing process, including: identifying funny topic, creating an outline, editing and proofreading your speech, or even writing it from scratch – just give us appropriate instructions and details about type of event, audience, desired style, etc.
We offer our clients solid guarantees that they either get desired result, byt the way, unlimited paper revisions are allowed and come for free, or get their money back. Clients can transparently evaluate bidding writers and choose their preferred ones according to their rating and performance on the platform but also communicate directly with writers, guiding their work, providing feedback, evaluating results while in progress.