Impromptu speech is task not for faint hearted and may seem more challenging than it actually is! As the name implies, it means speaking in public, which usually frightens students more than dealing with essays.
What makes this type of delivery different is spontaneously speaking, which leads most presenters to structural problems, content or length issues. Still, everything should start with great impromptu speech topics because one should definitely have something to say first! Best way is getting several ideas brainstormed, then choosing one that works out best in terms of arguments, evidence, and emotional constituent! As much important as prior readiness appears to be, correct choice of speech topic should also include research with study of relevant information.
How Can You Prepare for an Impromptu Speech?
In accordance with Mark Twain, it took him about three weeks to prepare his speech. Indeed, it takes preparation, courage, and good structure. While such statement contradicts essence of impromptu (meaning no preparation), it does not say that there is no way that helps a person prepare.
Sometimes students are even asked to replace an actual speaker who has not prepared his or her assignment. Then during college meeting or even a party, an ability to deliver cheering speech or words of thanks come truly beneficial. Yet, excellent results are only achieved by correctly chosen topic with accurate structure. It should include three elements, namely expression of personal opinion about chosen subject, related story or parable, a good conclusion with a call to action.
Public speaking topics are usually prepared mentally by taking certain notes or simply practicing diverse subjects verbally. Even if you have no friend or fellow student to talk to, practice on your own, identify elements that move you. If something inspires you, it will definitely inspire your audience. Remember that information delivered should not be preachy or forced. One uses emotion but still remain tactful, sensitive, and respectful even if controversial subjects have been touched upon. Golden rule here is keeping audience hooked, which may be reached by strong metaphors, comparisons or events that most people know or relate to.
Alternatively, taking look at how TV hosts ready, one sets clock for about five to seven minutes and do one’s best to present coverage of certain ideas.
In a game form, it helps to overcome initial public speaking fear and focusing on key arguments.
Since one deals with improvisation, do not write everything so that it sounds too serious. Just use good-hearted humor if situation and subject allow. Finally, if you stuck, take a pause if it’s necessary or ensure that audience sees a certain point. Do not forget that you are not the only person afraid in the audience!
5 Tips for Picking Impromptu Speech Topic
There are many impromptu speech questions that arise as good topic is chosen. Should it be argumentative or should author stay neutral? Should I use personal experience for impromptu speech? Truth it, there is not always enough time to consider these options so these simple topic selection tips will serve well in most situations:
- Select topics you know well - avoid choosing something that is not well known in terms of experience and knowledge. Choose that you are knowledgeable about, something where either your professional or other skills shine.
- Choose topics you can research - if there is time to get ready, choose something that is possible to research or quickly look up, getting facts clearer.
- Customize chosen topic - if topic has been chosen with not much chance left for consideration, remember that anything may be customized to fit situation. This is what most TV show presenters do even when having text already written.
- Add value - addition of value is an element that will move people and help them relate even if topic may seem obscure. Speak of personal experience, share knowledge acquired, inspire, motivate.
- Relate to recent events - if possible, finish narration by making reference to last events or issues discussed in media or local community. It will make audience think of what changes could be implemented, forming powerful ending!
120 Impromptu Speech Topics Divided by Category
No matter what topic is chosen in the end, it should trick audience into thinking. As you look through diverse topics below, try something that moves you and touches upon inner strings. Brainstorm diverse ideas, select some of them, try speaking one’s opinion fast by talking of what comes up! Just like with demonstration speech ideas or commemorative speech topics, make an argument or give voice to certain thesis, main thought, thus focusing on clear ideas.
Persuasive Impromptu Speech Ideas
- Paper books are better than electronic books
- Should English classes be obligatory for all disciplines?
- Tipping in restaurants should be made obligatory
- School uniforms do not make students equal
- Cursive handwriting is useless today
- Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
- Internet should have stricter censorship rules
- Medical marijuana use is harmful
- Global warming is a hoax
- Distance learning misses point of education
- Child's age to have a cell phone
- Should American military budget become smaller?
Some funny impromptu speech topics as we battle our fears:
- Ways to get up in the morning
- How to please your boss
- First date behavior tricks
- Telling that a girl (guy) likes you
- Making it through Walmart shopping
- Guide on overcoming phobias
- TV turns people into modern age slaves
- How to finish party before parents arrive
- What does my pet tell me
- If children were voting
- Round-shaped pizza is healthier
- Guide on reading 10 pages a minute
Personal Impromptu Public Speaking Topics
- My role model in life
- What does friendship mean
- Post military service adaptation
- Why I want to become an engineer (physician, lawyer, musician, etc)
- My conflict resolution methods
- My vision of Israel-Palestine conflict
- If I were a president of the United States for a day
- Overcoming sports trauma
- My first book
- If I could change the world, I would…
- My American Dream
- Things I shall always remember
Debate Impromptu Speech Examples
- Will Scotland become independent from the United Kingdom?
- Best American president in history is…
- Brexit is inevitable process that will affect the United States as well
- Should modern schools have gender segregation?
- Should teachers physically stop bullies?
- Are public cameras ethical?
- Should voting be made obligatory for all people?
- Should companies receive information about future employers?
- Is there still gender bias when college applications are reviewed?
- Should priests marry?
- Can countries ban certain religious practices allowed in other lands?
- Internet with no geographical restrictions
Speech Examples for High School
- My future career choice
- Guide on punishing school bullies
- Teamwork means unity
- Volunteering at … (any example)
- Peer pressure may be beneficial
- Gym performance must not be graded
- Modern role models for youth
- Doing homework together
- Bystanders and school playground troubles
- Learning alone versus learning in classroom
- You cannot teach creativity
- What school does not teach us
Middle School Topic Ideas
- Here are some great ideas for middle school:
- Guide on improving your weekends
- Cool games for rainy days
- My favorite celebrity
- Guide on avoiding getting grounded
- How to make skateboarding safe
- Guide on surviving moving into another town
- My trip abroad
- Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis (or any other book)
- If I was a detective, I would...
- Winning one million dollars, I would
- If I could be famous, I would choose
- My day at desolate island
Topics for College Students
- Should college students choose roommates?
- Reasons behind campus violence
- Guide on identifying and avoiding cheating.
- Is listening to music in college halls damaging to education?
- Colleges slowly become lifelong financial debts
- Are scholarships always fair?
- Guide on surviving through first college year.
- Internship choices
- Is private tutoring acceptable?
- Should students report students who look or sound depressed?
- Do colleges provide birth control pills?
- College professors biased attitude
Controversial Ideas for Impromptu Speech
- Should there be public prayer times in the classroom?
- Should churches and religious organizations pay taxes?
- Are female priests acceptable?
- Human cloning should be banned
- Paris Agreement - financial obligation or means of control
- Replacing physical libraries with online catalogs
- Link between violent video games and crime rates increase
- Should employers be fired if robots cope with their functions?
- Plastic bags ban will not help the environment
- Should zoos be banned?
- Should recovery programs replace jails?
- Death penalty has no place in modern society
Social Media Impromptu Speech Examples
- Instagram results in distorted body image standards
- People become addicted to social media
- Online interactions will never replace physical friendships
- Smartphones use among young children
- Dependence on Internet in modern times
- Online safety rules
- How to make Internet safer
- Cyberbullying dangers
- Should computer classes include coding?
- Benefits of distance learning
- Social Media role in political protests
- How Facebook saved… (any example)
Environment Impromptu Topics
- Should drilling in offshore marine locations be made illegal?
- Ways to protect Amazon rainforests
- How social awareness restored… (any world heritage)
- Ways for world to protect oceans
- Tsunami prevention measures
- Examples of nature protection in classic literature
- Famous environmental protector
- Scouting and nature in the United States
- Taking pictures with animals is not ethical
- Vegan culture traditions, restrictions, rules
- Animals as PTSD healers
- Should forests and seas become national legacy?
Remember that these are far not all possible topics for impromptu speeches as you can always request more from speech writer online and receive timely, professional help as provided by EduBIrdie writing experts.
EduBirdie Writers - Way to Overcome Speech Delivery Challenges
From great research topics and pre-written speeches made affordable with zero plagiarism (each paper is written from scratch), EduBirdie online writing help is your ultimate resource that offers complete transparency, direct communication with chosen writer, ensuring complete control at every stage. Any subject, essay type - place where even urgent orders can be covered, including professional editing, proofreading, and check for specific terminology. No need to wait any further, risking your academic future, contact our 24/7 support, placing an order now!