A comma (,) is a punctuation mark used to indicate a pause in a sentence or separate different elements of a list. There are many guides on how to write dates. The most common format is “commas in dates” which require separation of weekday from a month and a month from a year: Friday, October 21, 2017. When your period is made up two parts and more, you should distinguish them with a pause when the parts are both in numbers or words.
Generally, we have four types of this punctuation mark:
- listing comma: She bought cups(,) jugs and plates at her nearby market.
- joining comma: James is a happy(,) lively fellow.
- gapping comma: Marion read his paper on astrological elevation hypothesis(,) but did not agree with its thesis.
- bracketing comma (providing more information on a particular subject): Mr. Clifford(,) Fred’s father(,) is a mechanical engineer. This symbol can be used to separate different variables. In a period having figures of 4 or more digits, pauses are used to separate units. You should place this punctuation mark for every three digits.
Using Commas in Dates According to the Rules
In date writing, we use listing comma. Our main issue is how to write dates with commas. To punctuate periods correctly, we follow some. Below are some of them:
1. When a month, day and year are outlined, put punctuation mark between your day and your year: March 11, 2016.
2. When using an inverted style do not use any comma: 20 December 2018.
3. When writing day, as well as a date, use it after the time: We will be sitting for the end of semester exam on Friday, March 13, 2015.
4. If a month, day and year come in the middle of your sentence, put another comma after the year: He said that April 18, 2014, was his birthday.
5. When your period ends with a sentence, punctuate the numeral day and the year: His housing project was launched on June 10, 2012.
There are instances, however, where date grammar is omitted while writing periods:
1. When your period contains only a month and day: His business proposal on modern poultry farming was on January 2.
2. When your period has a month and a year: Our global technological innovations fair was in August 2013.
3. When using an inverted period: Her job interview will be on 29 September 2011.
These guidelines should be strictly followed to punctuate periods correctly.
Read also: Punctuation in Poetry
Exercise for Writing Dates Properly
Below are instances where periods have been miswritten. Just try using rules as mentioned above:
1. Her baby was born on 12, October 2009.
2. Their institute’s presidential election will be held on December 17 2010.
3. The priest will be ordained on July, 3 by the bishop.
4. Angela did her end-of-year exam on November 19, 2008 and passed with flying colors.
5. Their campaigns for the member of Congress will end on Friday May 20, 2000.
6. Her son was admitted on February 4, 2001 in this scouts’ guild.
7. Samson and Desmond will be hosting their birthday parties in July, 2002.
Read also: "Will you correct my paper for me?" Yes, we will! Professional writers are ready to assist you.
All the above-presented sentences are wrong in the use comma rules for dates. Now let us write them using these rules:
1. In our first sentence, since our date format is inverted, a punctuation mark between the day and month is not necessary: Her baby was born on 22 May 2009.
2. When a month, day and year are listed, always put a comma after the day: Their institute's presidential election will be held on January 25, 2010.
3. You don't need any punctuation mark when our date has only a month and a day: The priest will be ordained on February 1 by the bishop.
4. If your period comes in the middle of a sentence punctuate the end of the year: Angela did her exam on November 24, 2008, and passed with flying colors.
5. When writing your date as well as the day, place your comma after the day and between the year and date: Their campaigns for the member of Congress will end on Friday, October 7, 2000.
6. Do not place any punctuation mark after month: Her son was admitted on February 4, 2001, in this scouts’ guild.
7. There is no need for punctuating if your date has only two characters, for example, a comma between month and year: Samson and Desmond will be hosting their birthday parties on April 2002.
Read also: How paraphrase tool online can help you edit a paper fast?
There are quite many resources to gain knowledge on how to punctuate dates.
It is important to know that the inverted style of period writing is in typical use where your date comes first followed by the month and year: Christine’s sister will have a graduation after-party on 27 July 2005. This format, however, does not use commas. It uses symbols when your date includes a weekday. This piece of punctuation separates the weekday from the rest of the period: I was on a date on Friday, 23 March 2006.
In narrative papers or in other one, good English means more than just using the right words. Date punctuation helps to deliver your message correctly with the intended meaning being clear. In academic writing, the correct grammar helps to strengthen your arguments. A simple grammatical mistake can lead to a completely different message in each of four types of sentences. Symbols give sense to texts, allowing them to emphasize ideas and thoughts on paper.
Try to Make Your Poetry Absolutely Correct!
Commas in periods are a necessity when it comes to period construction. You should distinguish the American format and the inverted format to get a correct translation of them. Writers ought to observe grammar by using commas in dates and making sure they punctuate them correctly. It will increase their professional ability in content creation and essay writing. Watch out for newsletters that guide on the proper use of language. Remember always to use commas in your date writing as well as learn how to place them correctly in your text to avoid punctuation mistake.