Following your professor or teacher’s favorite essay format is very important. You may think that having to follow this type of style is silly, but adhering to the most popular styles, such as MLA or APA helps students to keep their papers neat, organized, and free of plagiarism. That is why you must follow these instructions.
What is an essay format?
An essay format is a series of guidelines that determine how your paper should be arranged. It covers the title page, basic essay structure, your conclusions, citations, etc.
How to Format an Essay
When formatting a paper, you need to have a title page, proper essay structure, text capitalization, proper citations, in-text citations, you need to know how to make a hook for an essay and works cited page. Below we have written a step-by-step guide on how make a proper essay format.
Read also: Research Paper Format
How to Create a Title Page
- Double-space your page. Do not use single-space.
- Use 12 font, Times New Roman
- Write the name of your institution
- A third of the way beneath the name of your institution, write the title of your paper.
- Towards the bottom of your paper, write your name, the course name and number, the instructor’s name, and the due date.
- A sample PDF with a title page is available on this page for your convenience.
The First Page of Your Essay
Before you begin writing, you must structure the first page of your paper:
- Add the header to your essay in the right-hand corner half an inch below the top edge of the paper. You must do this for every page of your paper with the exception of the works cited page.
- In the upper left hand corner of your paper place the heading
- Insert and center the title of your essay an inch below the top edge of your paper.
- Immediately beneath the title, begin writing the first paragraph of your title.
- The example below shows what it should look like when you are done:
Introduction, Body, and Conclusion
Every type of academic work, whether it is a short essay or a dissertation, has an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. Once you learn how to write a typical five paragraph essay consisting of these parts, writing any paper, no matter how short or long, becomes much easier.
- Use 12 font and Times New Roman
- In your introductory statement, clearly state the main idea of your paper
- Main body
Support your ideas in a logical, coherent way, by citing evidence you discovered in your research research.
Be sure to transition smoothly from paragraph to paragraph.
Here is where you wrap up your paper by bringing together all of your main points.
You may also use this as an opportunity to resolve problems you addressed in your essay or address the implications of your arguments.
Do not introduce any new ideas or topics to the paper in your conclusion.
If you can't write that essay - EduBirdie can. Just ask "write my essay, please".
In Text Citation
Whenever citing the work of someone else in your paper, you will have to use in-text citation in the text in order to show the reader where you found your information. Follow these examples when doing in-text citation:
Works Cited Page
The works cited page is where you list every source you used.
- List your sources in alphabetical order.
- If your reference takes up more than two lines of text, indent the second line of text to the right by one inch, and all other lines for the same reference after the second.
- Materials taken from different forms of media (print, web, lecture, etc.) must be formatted differently. Here is an example of how to write a reference from a book with the format guidelines.
- Write the last name of the author followed by his first name. Place the title and then the publishing information as indicated above.
There are many different ways to write your references because there are now so many different types of media. Consult a style guide in order to find out more. In the meantime, you can look at our essay format examples:
We hope that these essay format examples will help you.
Tips for Writing and Conducting Research
As we said, writing is hard, and even professional writers like myself have trouble doing it. Here are a few useful tips that I follow in order to get the most of myself.
- Become an expert on the topic. Do as much reading as you can on your topic so that you know more about it than your instructor, and write down the author’s name and publishing information of the material you plan to use so that you can quickly insert it into your works cited page.
- Pre-writing. This is when you brainstorm ideas for your essay. When I do this, I write down every single word and thought that comes to mind for an hour straight, and before I know it, I am writing entire lines of text.
- Just Write. When the American science-fiction writer Robert Heinlein was asked what the secret to completing a novel was, he replied, “Just write.” In order to complete your task, you are just going to have to sit and down and do the work. Discipline yourself to commit a few hours a day to completing your paper.
- Don’t procrastinate. If you have an essay due, do not wait until the last minute to do it; instead, dedicate a few hours everyday to doing a little bit of the work. Before you know it you will be done - probably early - and your work will be superb. If you wait until the last moment to finally do it, the quality of your text will suffer.
- Check your work. No matter how great of a writer you are, you are bound to make a few mistakes. I guarantee that you will find more than a few grammar and stylistic mistakes even in this guide. That is why you must check grammar and spelling in your own work.
Good luck with your project!
I hope that this short guide will be of assistance to you. If you think you need more help than this guide can give, you should contact the customer service agents at EduBirdie. They will get you in-touch with writers who can do all types of formats:
- College essay format
- College application essay format
- Argumentative essay format
- Short essay format
And they can do much more! Come to our website and discover all of the great benefits that EduBirdie has to offer. No matter what subject you are major in, even if you need MBA essay help, we are here to assist you! Getting the right format for an essay has never been easier!