If you want to write an effective and engaging controversial essay, you definitely need to take into consideration the best social issue topics or satire topics. We are all members of the society and community where we live, and the events and trends of this year have affected every one of us. This is why you may frequently find yourself faced with the task of writing about social topics in an academic paper, to show your understanding and awareness of the different social issues of today.
Writing research papers and essays or creating presentations is one of many steps to train you to be a functioning adult in your community. Because of this, you need to make an effort to be aware of current changes and trends. Some teens are so caught up in the digital world of online gaming and media that they don’t really pay attention to issues around them. Writing an assignment about current social topics in 2023 is a chance to open one’s eyes and increase one’s knowledge.
How to Write an Essay on Social Issues
Your professor or teacher will ask you to look for interesting social issues essay topics or problem solution essay topics for your upcoming assignment as part of your course work. Such assignments allow teens and young adults to express their opinions about the trendiest topics of 2023. Your classroom is a safe environment where you can discuss your thoughts without being judged; this is a chance you shouldn’t waste.
To write a perfect essay, follow these steps:
- Choose Your Topic Wisely.
Choosing a relevant 2023 social problem topic will pay off. It should cause some controversy and keep your audience interested. You could also easily research it to find enough evidence and proof to support your ideas. Check with your teacher or professor to ensure your topic is acceptable for 2023 and that it can be discussed at school or college.
To help you find a relevant topic, try searching trending hashtags of 2023 on media platforms or check your daily newspaper for news. Pay attention to international news as well. This is a good way to understand what is going on in different parts of the world and how it affects Americans living in the States.
Some relevant global social problems include income inequality (poverty), corruption, the rise in authoritarianism (erosion of democratic values), criminality, unsustainable development, and bullying in schools.
- Spend Time on Research
You should always look for academically proven and reliable sources that you can cite in your essay. Listing your opinions without sufficient logical support from outside sources is unacceptable.
Some students simply rely on the media for examples to include in their tasks. It is risky because the world of the media industry is affected by political influence and can be biased. It is recommended to rely on academically approved sources to find relevant examples.
- Support Your Opinion with Examples
Stay attentive to find relevant examples. Since you are discussing a current social topic, relevant examples are often readily available. Use examples to support your opinion and explain it. They can help make your point relatable and easier to understand.
However, some students simply rely on the media for examples to include in their papers. It is risky because politics often influence the media industry and can be biased. You must rely primarily on academically approved sources for relevant examples.
- Keep It Simple
Your essay is a chance to express your opinion and say what you believe about a current social issue or situation. That is why you must ensure you have used the right words to express your point of view. Use simple and relevant words to explain what you mean to avoid confusing your audience.
- Revise and Edit
Before submitting your assignment, you need must ensure it is flawless and error-free. Complete spelling and grammar checks to review your paper for spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes — or give it to us, as we can do essay revisions for you. Writing errors could alter the meaning of your paper and confuse your readers.
What Are the Social Issues of Today? Top 12 Issues
As we live through the global pandemic, natural disasters worldwide, conversion to safe energy sources, and COVID-19 challenges, the list of relevant social issues in 2023 have also changed. Here are the top 12 social issues with relevant topics that you may consider for your essay:
- COVID-19 & Global Pandemic. Without a doubt, almost every sector of modern life has been affected by the global pandemic restrictions and the rules of social distancing. Even though countries seem to return to normal life, logistics and international trading still need to be enhanced. As an example of social topics dealing with this issue, consider writing about how the COVID-19 crisis affected a company or the entire industry.
- The Black Lives Matter Social Movement. It is hard to find anything that has marked the last two years regarding social importance. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement has captured the entire world because the issues of racial prejudice are relevant as ever. Regarding possible topics, you can compare the BLM movement with the student protests in the 1970s or the Montgomery Bus Station protest.
- Green Energy Conversion. This social issue is mostly related to environmental problems, yet global conferences are dedicated to finding safe ways to convert all available energy to safe methods. Consider writing about the latest innovations in the solar energy sector and talk about wind turbines if you are majoring in Electrical Engineering. At the same time, you can write about school education and educating youngsters about our environment.
- The Presence of the U.S. Military Troops in Afghanistan. It is a sensitive social issue in the United States, as President Biden has announced that troops leaving Afghanistan in 2021. This social topic is quite important as it is not only a political issue but also a matter of national security.
- The Challenges of Remote Education. As we are making it through yet another year of distance learning with Skype and Zoom solutions for video conferences, the challenges of modern learning are evident. Consider writing about how the student habits and attitudes have changed in 2023 and think about what pros and cons of this issue you can explore.
- Arctic Pole Environmental Situation. The Arctic Pole Ice Shield is a social issue that became apparent as explorers and scientists from all fields of science started to reveal updated information. Regardless of your college course, you can approach this social issue through the prism of environmental protection, political bias, economics, marketing, and even the logistics that are also present in this sector.
- Global Pandemic & Vaccination. The subject of vaccination might be among the most discussed social issues today, yet it does not make it to the list of immediate issues because of the political games at play. For example, you can write about unequal distributions of vaccines to certain countries and investigate how politics manipulate this sensitive matter.
- Travel Restrictions. As the warm times are coming closer, most people think about traveling. Consider some business trips even if you are not up for leisure. Though the list of restrictions is changing all the time, and the number of countries that accept tourists without any limits is constantly growing compared to 2022, this issue is still discussed in 2023, which makes it a relevant social issue. Consider writing about new safety regulations and researching how COVID-19 has affected our travel routines and rules.
- Global Unemployment Peak. According to various statistics, the unemployment peak in April 2021 reached over 12.7% in the United States. The same thing will happen all over the world in 2023. You can write about the reasons for such a situation and discuss the presence of freelance specialists and people working remotely as an option.
- Supply Chain Diversification in Post COVID-19 Society. Undoubtedly, the most affected sector is the field of supply chain distribution. Diversification has become an issue since people who are limited in funds or face certain healthcare issues need proper help. You can choose an issue in your local community or write about why such a situation became possible.
- Increasing Political Polarization. Just remember to stay respectful as you write about politics. Regardless of your preferences and beliefs, it is hard to ignore an increasing political polarization, representing another social issue in 2023. You can consider writing about Russia and its external politics, India and the distribution of vaccines, or the United States with the latest political changes and innovations.
- Healthcare Bias in Modern Society. Unfortunately, this social problem became even more apparent in 2023 as the vaccinated people received more social rights. Still, only some people all over the world can become vaccinated. At the same time, one should consider writing about other illnesses and healthcare specialists that are not precisely related to respiratory diseases. Consider it as one of the starting points as you write about healthcare bias social issues.
Of course, you may also consider the problem of evolving employee benefits or how people receive various labor compensation or become fired for no reason. Meanwhile, think about the media sector and the challenges of actors and musicians who are currently left without the means to represent their art. Choose something that inspires you and explain why it is important.
List of Social Issues for Essay Writing in 2023
Finding relevant subjects or interesting presentation topics for academic assignments is quite challenging. You must ensure you’ve picked an adequate topic to submit a high-quality essay. You must submit flawless, excellently written essays if you want a degree from a reputable American college or university. Here is a comprehensive list of social issues to browse for ideas on your next academic project.
Social Justice Essay Topics:
- Is ageism the new racism?
- Deprivation of health care: Dealing with consequences.
- Are convicts still punished after serving time?
- Are labor laws fair?
- How is society viewing domestic violence towards men?
- Discrimination against pregnant women.
- Fat shaming in the job market.
- Overcoming poverty-based discrimination in our society.
- Do recovering addicts deal with social injustice?
- Are Arabs and Middle Easterners subject to discrimination?
Essay Examples Relevant to Social Justice
Pornography Essay Topics:
- How to deal with pornography addiction.
- Dealing with child pornography.
- Is consent really valid in the porn industry?
- Do pornstars suffer from society shaming?
- Why do pornstars commit suicide?
- Dealing with leaked personal pornography videos.
- The pressure in the porn industry.
- Pornstars who crossed over to other industries.
- Does watching porn damage family life?
- How to know that you are addicted to porn?
Read also: 200+ Good Argumentative Essay Topics
Social Science Topics:
- Advertisements from a Social Science perspective.
- African American stereotypes.
- Social aspects of feminism.
- Polygamy in the US.
- A world without leadership.
- Organizational behavior and Social Sciences.
- Current problems and future trends of Social Sciences.
- Religion and Social Sciences in the modern world.
- Can Social Science be the way to understand society?
- Have gender roles changed in the US?
Essay Examples Relevant to Social Science
Migration and Immigration Topics:
- How did the Irish Diaspora change life in the United States?
- Refugees across the world.
- Building a wall between Mexico and the US.
- Palestinian refugees in Jordan.
- Forced migration.
- History of Australian immigration.
- Deportation of refugees and illegal immigrants.
- What are the factors behind illegal immigration?
- Egyptian illegal immigrants in Italy.
- How can immigrants integrate into American society?
Essay Examples Relevant to Migration and Immigration
Racism Essay Topics:
- The civil rights movement: a long struggle for freedom.
- Racism in America: decades of failed reforms and police brutality.
- Systemic racism in America: racial discrimination, inequality, and injustice.
- Unconscious racism: the psychology behind implicit racial bias and discrimination.
- The impact of racism and racial violence on mental health.
- Racism in literature and art: teaching children about social justice.
- The impact of racism on the future of modern society.
- Racism: the origins, causes, effects, and consequences.
- The social and economic impacts of racial segregation in America.
- The economic and psychological impacts of racism in the workplace.
TOP-5 free essay samples on Social Issues
LGBT Topic Ideas:
- The economic, social, and cultural factors influencing the LGBT community.
- LGBT pride: diversity, equality, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Marriage and family: the challenges and impacts of same-sex marriage.
- Mental health in the LGBT community: key challenges and concerns.
- The global divorce rates of same-sex couples vs. heterosexual couples.
- LGBT in schools: the impacts of homophobic bullying and discrimination.
- Gender roles in society: changing views and implications for families.
- The religious and cultural barriers to LGBT equality and inclusion.
- LGBT and social media: the sociological impact of social platforms.
- Same-sex couples and the psychological influence on their children.
Essay Examples Relevant to LGBT
Peace and War Topics:
- Children of war.
- How do the economics of war affect society?
- Who paid the price for the War on Terrorism?
- Ethnic cleansing.
- Is society paying enough attention to peace education?
- Role of women in war.
- How did the war in Syria affect other countries?
- War crimes across the world.
- Historical account of the genocide in Armenia.
- Role of media in wartime.
Discrimination and Prejudice Topics:
- Common stereotypes in American society.
- Racial profiling and its effects.
- What is discrimination in sports?
- Reverse discrimination.
- Hate speech on social media.
- Segregation in the US.
- White privilege in the media.
- Discrimination in the Middle East.
- Sex discrimination in the workplace.
- Discrimination against gay people.
Essay Examples Relevant to Discrimination and Prejudice
Feminism Essay Topics:
- Domestic violence and challenges to feminism in the 21st century
- The #Metoo movement and its global impact on gender equity
- The four waves of feminism: a history of the movements
- Women’s empowerment: gender equality and women’s rights in modern society
- Feminism throughout history: the most significant feminist movements and ideologies
- Men in contemporary feminist movements: understanding their roles and responsibilities
- The controversial issues of feminism in contemporary women’s rights movements
- The negative impact and perception of modern feminism on society
- Women’s career development: the role and impact of gender stereotypes
- The status of women in ancient civilizations vs. modern society
Essay Examples Relevant to Feminism
Abortion Essay Topics:
- Legalizing abortion: the effect on the birth rate and marriage
- The social, psychological, and psychomedical effects of legal abortion
- The moral, legal, and social aspects of pregnancy termination
- Abortion across different cultures: the history of attitudes and practices
- The effects of religious beliefs on abortion and contraception use
- Should men have a voice in the abortion debate?
- Life after abortion: the psychological effects and mental health controversy
- The social and psychological impact of an abortion ban
- Birth control and abortion: women’s fight for reproductive rights
- Teen pregnancy and abortion: health concerns and parental consent
Essay Examples Relevant to Abortion
- Ownership of stolen antiques.
- Should museums in Europe return ancient artifacts home?
- Stealing cultural heritage: Examples in history.
- Protection of cultural heritage in times of war and peace.
- Art looted in wartime.
- The cultural heritage of indigenous people.
- The difference between the Western and the Eastern cultures.
- Selling copied artifacts.
- Cultural heritage in Asia.
- What is the importance of preserving cultural heritage?
Essay Examples Relevant to Cultural Property
Illiteracy Essay Topics:
- Digital illiteracy.
- 5 Problems related to illiteracy.
- Illiteracy in the US.
- Emotional illiteracy and its effect on family life.
- How can financial illiteracy harm you?
- Adult illiteracy and how to overcome it.
- Can social media help overcome the problem of illiteracy?
- Poverty and illiteracy.
- How can literacy change people’s lives? 3 amazing examples.
- Women illiteracy in African countries.
- The effect of political turmoil on domestic violence.
- Ethnic profiling and violence.
- Movies and violence.
- Promoting rape culture.
- Dealing with social media bullying.
- Aggression in children.
- Abuse in the world of sports.
- Child abuse prevention.
- Gun control in the US.
- Gangs and violence in Miami.
Essay Examples Relevant to Violence
- Humanity through the ages: a brief history of human evolution
- Human development: the evolution of physical, cognitive, and behavioral change
- Humanity’s journey into the future: sustainability and existential risk prevention
- The meaning of humanity: the role of religion in society
- The effects of negative human behavior on the natural environment
- The humanity of humans: how humane are we, really?
- Acts of kindness and humane actions.
- The human nature of violence: aggressive behavior in human evolution
- Social movements in the modern society: a human rights perspective
- Cultural diversity: key differences and similarities in human values
Essay Examples Relevant to Humanity
Consumption and Development Topics:
- Overconsumption in America.
- The culture of consumption.
- The power of buyers in different industries.
- Water consumption in Africa.
- History of sustainable development in the US.
- Consumption of alcohol.
- Sustainable consumption of meat and fish: Its effect on the environment.
- Children and consumption of fast food.
- The dynamics of consumption in the US market.
- How can businesses influence consumption trends?
Didn't find ideas? Read: 150+ Best Sociology Topics
Writing a good essay is a great way to guarantee the best grades. If you can’t finish your writing assignment independently, you can always get help from expert writers who can complete your task on your behalf. Don’t worry if you don’t have great writing skills; you could always hire a professional to do your assignment on time. It takes just minutes to place your order, and you will receive an original, authentic essay about the latest topics. You can even hire an essay writer to revise your draft. Seek professional feedback to improve the quality of your writing.
Writing an interesting essay about a trendy topic allows you to display your knowledge of the world. Browse different subjects and pick one that will impress your readers.