A personal narrative essay is a story that is told from writer’s point of view and should include a plot, conflict, and characters. Usually, college or high school students are expected to submit assignments based on their own personal lives. This, of course, has to relate to the topic done in class.
Choosing the right narrative essay topics or presentation topics can have an impact on the grade that you score on your narrative essay. Also, not knowing the structure of a proper essay can make the process difficult and uninteresting. A well-written essay should capture the attention of a reader and get him or her involved with the events in your story.
Read also: The 125 Descriptive Essay Topics: The Easiest Way to Create a Descriptive Essay
How to Choose a Narrative Essay Topic?
As mentioned before, knowing narrative speech topics and personal narrative ideas will affect your score. Choosing a topic of your essay gives you an advantage in the sense that you can write about something you're passionate ambitious.
So, how do you choose the right topic for your creative writing assignment? This is easy. For starters, you should know that the best narrative speech topic can be an event from your life. You can select one memory and use it to build an incredible story. You may actually have many memories that are just waiting to be written down.
So, why not take advantage of this. In other situations, you may feel like a class theme doesn't relate to any event or memory in your life. When faced with this situation, you can create a fictional story. Another great alternative is checking online for examples of good narrative essay topics.
Here is a little of 65, narrative essay topics for high school students and college/university attendants. You can use these personal narrative ideas to help you to choose titles for your creative writings or read informative speech topics.
- My childhood years
- My most memorable school years
- My travel experience
- My family traditions
- My experience of living in a hostel
- How I maintain relationships
- The major events that shaped my life
- Life as a college student
- How computer literacy has helped me
- The first novel that I read
- Why I enjoy mountain climbing
- How I survived my first speech
- My first time abroad
- The worst day of my life
- What I wish I knew back them
- What makes me stand out
- Have you ever felt a need to impress others?
- Things my parents taught me
- What I could change in the history of mankind
- What I would do with a billion dollars
- Losing a close friend
- My favorite childhood stories
- What my first day at school felt like
- How I relax after a long day
- Things I would do if I became famous
- My favorite subjects in middle school
- How I overcame my greatest fear
- My greatest accomplishments
- Things I love about myself
- My favorite musician
- My first short story
- My first relationship
- Things I do to relieve stress
- How I handle depression
- People who have an impact on my life
- My favorite activities
- The role of social media in my life
- The worst argument in my life
- My favorite family vacation
- Places I wish to visit
- My role model
- Why I like camping
- My favorite childhood memory
- My favorite activities with my friends
- The first time I argued with my best friend
- My first heartbreak
- How I can change the world
- Things I could tell my younger self
- How I maintain my relationship with my family
- The most important principle in life
- Why I find my cat funny
- Teachers who inspire me
- Why I keep a diary
- My favorite poem
- The best television shows of my childhood
- My favorite author
- How technology affects my life
- How I overcame my fear of giving speeches
- The toughest thing I’ve ever done
- The most difficult thing I’ve ever done
- What I regret most
- How I was motivated to write my thesis for me
- How I overcome challenges
- My first time alone
- The title of my first article
Read also: 60 Exemplification Topic for Students
Tips on Writing Narrative Essays
A major difference between narratives and rhetorical essays is that you give the reader vivid descriptions that will allow them to reach a certain conclusion. For you to accomplish this task, your essay should be well structured and contain all necessary components. To guide you on your journey here are a few tips.
Before working on your assignment, think of what event in your life that relates to the class theme. This stage is known as prewriting phase. This is the point where you select your topic. Keep in mind that a topic can influence outcome of a narrative. Select a topic that is important to you so you can compose the best story.
However, it doesn't end here. After coming up with your personal narrative topic, identify all events and details that you want to include in your paper. Create an outline of how events should occur. This prompts you to create appropriate words narrative papers.
2. Be clear
Using complex words can confuse readers. Instead, use simple descriptive words that would convey the message you are trying to pass. Also, do not include all narrative ideas in the same paragraph.
Instead spread out narrative ideas between different paragraphs. Do not create in a clinical manner. Write the same way you would to your friends. Each description and statement should be vivid. After all, it's the only way to get readers fully engaged with your story.
3. Use the 1st person
The whole idea of writing a narrative essay is to provide an autobiographical story of events you may have experienced. This means writing in the first person and not the second person. Writing in the first person gives you an opportunity to narrate events as though they were happening at the same moment. It is the best way for readers to connect with the main character of your story, which is you in this case.
Read also: How to use online plagiarism checker for free?
4. Edit your narrative
After you have completed your narrative essay, make sure you revise it. Revising gives you chance to make corrections which may make an entire story more interesting. During this process, you can add events or remove ideas that don't suit the story. Reread the entire narrative. Ask yourself a following questions while doing a review:
- Is there a smooth transition between events?
- Will the story attract readers?
- Will the narrative make readers continue reading?
- Are all events and characters described vividly?
- Will readers understand the main message of stories?
If the answer to the questions on this list is yes, then you are on your way to understanding how to write a narrative essay.
Narrative writing is essential for students in high school and college. Selecting a narrative essay topic of your narrative essay is one of the most important steps in creating this type of assignment. When you select a topic you are passionate about it helps you write an exceptional and captivating story. Using narrative writing ideas or informative speech essays help you to write a more interesting story.
You can use Edubirdie to get more ideas for narrative essay topics. Our professional writers provide students with narrative essay help. All our work is original and of high quality. Feel free to contact us for more information.