If you just started to study at the college, you find out that a lot of students face the need to write many difficult assignments. This essay is among the hardest papers that have to be written because it’s almost impossible now to come up with a gooa and unique topic. That’s why if you have a cause and effect essay topic that doesn’t fall in your area of interest or if it has very little relevant information on the web, you will never make the task perfectly. It focuses on different situations, actions or phenomena and how they were caused, as well as what effects will they show.
Tips Before Writing This Paper
1. Define the cause and effect
Write down your potential topic. Break down your subject into smaller statements. Choose an idea you want to cover. Find a way to link your idea to your paper. You might end up with single or multiple effects.
2. Select an interesting topic
People tend to have a short attention span for boring content, so when they are faced with unengaging content or topic that doesn’t make them read on, they easily say goodbye to this paper. Making an essay exciting and engaging is crucial if you want your audience to read more than a few first lines. Choice of an audience matters when it comes to your essay’s effectiveness. Who are you writing for? If you aim to impress medical students with this paper, then you should consider a theme on healthcare. Try our random essay topic generator, if you don't have good ideas!
3. Use ideas that have evidence
You need to have a clear understanding of what you are required to write about. This paper requires substantial evidence or proven facts. Source credibility is important for such an essay. Take your time to find quality material.
Read also: 150 Research Paper Topics
Different Topic Categories for Cause and Effect Essay Ideas
Topics on Environment
- History and extinction of fish species
- Why is managing forest fires important?
- The effects of poor conservation techniques by developing countries
- What are the most deadly natural disasters’ causes?
- Weather forecasts’ influence in preventing natural disasters
- How does air pollution affect people’s life in congested cities?
- What illegal cutting of trees causes the environment?
- Why is water conservation important?
Relationship Topic Ideas
- The relevance of financial independence in love relationship
- Emotional stability in a marriage
- How children raised by single parents behave in social backgrounds?
- How do vacations affect a family?
- The implications of divorce on the children
- Why people avoid long distance relationships?
- What are the causes of infidelity in a marriage?
- The relevance of intimacy in a relationship
Topics for High School
- What are the environmental implications of forest fires?
- How does social anxiety affect the youth?
- How has globalisation impacted society?
- How does acne affect a teenager’s life?
- What were smartphone use’ implications in classrooms?
- How does the education system react to cheating in exams?
- How does fast food restaurants’ popularity affect lifestyle choices?
- What are the cause and effect of sibling rivalry?
Topics for Middle School
- How does peer pressure influence your decisions?
- How does a family background affect an individual ‘s emotional stability?
- What are the implications of environmental pollution?
- What are the effects of foreigners speaking English?
- How is bullying dangerous?
- How does misconduct affect student’s performance?
- What are food poisoning’s implications?
- How playing video games every day affects student’s health?
- How safe is your private information?
- How has technology been influential in the medical system?
- What makes video games attractive to young adults?
- Programming as a business
- Why owning a smartphone is necessary?
- How important is data protection?
- The link between a movie industry and advanced technology
- How do companies benefit from advanced security systems
Examples of Great Topics that College Students Could Use
- How countries in a state of war deal with issues in the economy?
- Causes and effects of custom-made technology on human health
- How has technology changed how we learn?
- Why do teenagers choose to rebel?
- The election in facts: what are the financial implications of a process
- How does illegal immigration affect a country?
- What are the implications of social, moral decay?
- How university students can find the internships that would influence their career growth?
Fun Topics Ideas
- How relevant is the invention of toilet paper?
- Can you be a more optimistic person if you watch animation movies?
- How your IQ is linked to your hair color?
- Why dogs are more loyal than human beings
- Why is water vital to the body?
- People who play popular video games are smarter
- What makes people want to travel the world
- The implications of an expensive lifestyle
Topics on Health
- How has research helped in Cancer treatment?
- What can the excessive smoking cause?
- What is the long-term effect of a poor diet?
- What impact does physical exercise have on the body?
- How does sleep affect your brain’s health?
- What not having medical insurance can cause?
- What is the implication of adults getting chicken pox?
- What causes make pancreatic cancer life-threatening?
Optimistic Topics Ideas
- How a great physique and happier life is linked?
- How does college education offer better life?
- How do puzzles cause development IQ?
- How great communication improves customer service
- How social media can tackle shyness
- Why is a positive mind important?
- How does good food make someone happy?
- The services of a professional counsellor to save a marriage
Pessimistic Topic Ideas
- A rise of infidelity cases in marriages
- How parents cause rivalry between their kids?
- The decrease in sales of snacks due to healthy lifestyle choices
- Can discrimination be based on an informational shortage?
- Why more women prefer staying single?
- Why long-distance relationship rarely work?
- Lack of job satisfaction causes depression more often
- How family background affects social anxiety
Topics on Social Problems
- The effect of having poor communities
- Why men earn more than women: facts
- Why is proper sanitation important?
- Why are disabled people discriminated?
- What is the implication of racism?
- How does social status affect personal productivity
- How does retirement affect someone?
- How does lack of food affect children?
- What makes teachers burn out?
- How does parent involvement after the quality of education?
- Public school educational system: its causes and effects
- Importance of the British education system
- Why teaching arts in school is important?
- How can homeschooling be difficult for children and parents?
- Explain the effects of cheating in school
- Why wearing school uniforms is important?
Read also: 150 Persuasive Speech Topics
Topics with Examples for Cause and Effect Essays
You have to be equipped with a proper outline, as well as engaging topics before sitting to write your winning paper. An outline will serve as a guide during the writing process. With a good outline placed before you, you will know all the critical points that have to be included in your paper, so will unlikely write unnecessary information. Below are some examples that use an outline to break down topics and have many points of view. If you have a logical list of great mentions, you will efficiently structure your paper and audience will quickly understand what you wanted to tell them.
1. What are the Causes and Effects of Social Media on Youth?
Social media can either be a handy tool if used correctly. Technology has made communication easier. Platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook absorb all teenagers’ attention that they could have put into studies or their relationships. But can media be too overwhelming? Sometimes when people don’t feel that they are surrounded by love and gratitude, they come to such platforms where they can share their thoughts and engage in long conversations about their hobbies, as well as receive feedback. Some key problems concerning youth and social media are quite simple:
- Lack of or, on the contrary, an abundance of attention
- Addiction to the constant presence on the Internet
- Self-esteem is affected
2. What are the Cause and Effects of a Good Education?
If you are faced with a question: “Did you get more opportunities after getting an education?” you most probably would say, that you did, because it opens many doors. A student that graduated from a well-known university, especially with experience in different internships and extracurricular activities, has a chance to build perfect life in the future. Education helps to find better career opportunities but, the influence of the degree ends there because your employer will look only at your work results. Of course, a good education is an ultimate savior from poverty, but money isn't the only reason why people decide to get a good education. Among them are:
- People have more respect to the law
- Educated people find it much easier to communicate with the people around them and can talk about many different topics
- They can make decisions easier because when you know how to look at the problem from different sides, you can easily make an appropriate judgement
- Education improves economic growth
3. What are the Cause and Effects of Drug Abuse?
Drug abuse is a disease that needs proper care and treatment. People get judgmental towards drug abusers without understanding it is a chronic disease. Stress, mental issues, trauma, and medical conditions are some reasons why people start taking drugs. The environment or abuser’s genetics can trigger addiction, which can damage the human body. Use some following points in your paper:
- Immune system’s health implications
- Brain damage
- Damage to relationships
- Mental illnesses’ development
4. How can we Find the Causes and Effects of Teen Pregnancy?
It is better to start this cause and effect paper by highlighting factors that initiate early pregnancies in teenagers. Some negative influences are sexual abuse, drugs or alcohol, as well as pressure from classmates and friends. You can consider mentioning some factors included below when writing about effects:
- Often, teenagers face health issues after giving birth, so the girl has to go through possible difficulties and will have to put a lot of energy in recovering
- The newborn’s health becomes the main concern of the teenage mother, and she has very little time to consider her interests
- The teenage girl that faces such a situation has to deal with a high load of responsibility, and for her age, it can be very uncomfortable and unusual
- Dropping out of school
5. What are the Cause and Effects of Gambling Addiction?
The thrill of winning money is exciting. That excitement is dangerous. Unfortunately, some people have experienced negative effects of this addiction. Fun is usually a reason why a lot of people are trying different gambling activities because it’s so entreating and, as a plus, they have a chance to win money. Gambling is a difficult topic to write on because its use and safety are still controversial, you never know whether it can be accessible to every person or should be restricted to some groups of people. Anyway, we advise dividing your future paper on this topic by such categories:
- Health implications
- Increased drug and alcohol abuse
- Effect on a financial status
- Implication on family relationships
6. What are the Cause and Effects of Student Burnout?
A burnout for a student means something destructive in the process of studying – it is a crisis during which teenagers feel that they cannot comprehend the number of tasks put on them. The most evident way to find out if you have a burnout is to see whether you are feeling more tired by doing the same things or not. It can either come out as exhaustion, inefficiency, and cynicism. Deadlines, huge workloads and long study hours cause burnout in students. You must point out what are the reasons behind burnout as it’s important to understand them for eliminating it. Some effects that can be evident after a burnout include:
- Individual’s mental health is in the constant stress
- People find it hard to be satisfied, as well as committed to studies
- Individual’s psychological state becomes very disturbed by an overwhelming tasks’ amount
- Effect on student’s relationships with peer and social activities
Read also: 110 Topics for Expository Essays for Thirsty for Knowledge
This type of the paper requires cognitive reasoning, as well as analytical thinking, so you must be careful while considering topics that suit best your particular needs. It is very important because the main peculiarity about such type of a topic is that you have to state clear evidence about every conclusion made in the paper.