Short Expository Essay Characteristic
The name ”expository” comes from the verb ”to expose”, meaning that in such an essay, you should dwell on something, define, and describe it. On the same note, it can be an examination or analysis of a particular issue, depending on expository essay topics you may choose. Generally speaking, an expository essay is a general term for a group of pieces that includes: cause and effect essay, descriptive essays, comparison essay, process essay and also problem and solution essay.
Exemplary Topics for an Expository Essays
Social Problems Expository Essay Topics
- To vote or not to vote? Describe possible effects
- What a young person can do, if they failed to finish college?
- Causes and effects of alcohol addiction among teenagers
- Teen pregnancy: is it a norm?
- Why should there be a school uniform? Why not?
- If you were the president of your country, what would you change?
- What are the consequences of drug addiction?
- Is there such a thing as ‘tolerance'? Does it work as it should?
- Discuss the ‘glass ceiling’ issue. How can it be addressed?
- How does Internet addiction affect children if at all?
Ethical Issues Topics
- How do you understand the ‘code of ethics’?
- What should a 17-year-old do, if his girlfriend says she’s pregnant?
- Divorce: Which parent would you choose and why?
- Would you agree to your loved one getting assisted suicide?
- Consequences of implementing gun control
- Death penalty: Would you get rid of it and why?
- Is there such a notion as ‘honor' in today's society?
- How would you stop racism?
- Describe your understanding of morality
- Should abortion be prohibited?
Health Expository Writing Topics
- Give advice on how to stay fit.
- Healthy food: Describing the consequences of eating healthy.
- Why snacks and fast-food are harmful?
- Can the World Health Organization actually cure ‘incurable’ diseases?
- Correlation between poverty and AIDS. Why this disease haunts poor countries?
- Does music affect our mental health?
- Interrelation of mental health and IQ level.
- What are the common strategies for dealing with ADSD?
- Are heroism and patriotism ‘normal’ things in terms of mental health?
- How can a college student live healthily?
Topics on Literature
- Dorian Gray: A villain or a victim?
- Describe the means of creating a female character in "A Doll's House"
- Analyze the author's style in …
- Describe the main symbols used in "Leaves of Grass."
- Beowulf: The impact of the epic on the image of a hero in art
- Analyze the role of secondary characters in a play
- Harry Potter: The consequences of being the chosen one
- John Snow: A noble bastard
- The Consequences of H. Wells’ “Time Machine”
- Describe the means of comedy in "Harry Potter"
History Topics for Expository Essays
- Describe the consequences of gunpowder invention
- Describe the invention of the first newspaper
- Analyze the effects of Queen Victoria’s reign
- Describe the role of Astronomy in Ancient Greece
- Describe how silk and tea export shaped modern China's economy
- Samurai’s honor and the industrial development of Japan
- The effects of the French Revolution
- The Crusaders: Villains or Heroes?
- The Templars: Guards of Faith or Mercenaries?
- Causes and effects of Nationwide Prohibition of the 1920s
Science and Technology Topics for Students
- Consequences of Internet invention
- Instagram: Causes and effects of being addicted to social networks
- How did radio shape the modern world?
- The theory of general relativity: The impact on modern physics
- Arabic vs. Latin numerals. Why the Arabic ones won?
- iPhone: A significant leap in the field of mobile technology.
- Why Elon Musk’s inventions are so detrimental?
- Stephen Hawking’s impact on astrophysics
- Will we ever land on Mars?
- Time travel: Why is it (im)possible?
Ideas of Religion and Philosophy Topics
- Consequences of Nietzsche’s claims about God
- Why is there no single religion?
- The image of Jesus in Islamic religious tradition
- Christianity and Medieval Europe
- The reformation of the Catholic church
- Can modern people leave according to 10 commandments?
- Describe your understanding of 7 deadly sins
- What is your life philosophy?
- The role of existentialism in shaping modern philosophy
- Is it possible to construct Aristotle’s Republic?
- Causes and effects of adult illiteracy
- How can the education sector be changed in your country?
- Can a person get an outstanding education at home?
- Which subjects could be taught at schools?
- Is it fair that athletes get scholarships?
- Higher education and its impact on a future career
- Does ‘educated' mean the same as ‘smart'?
- Which subjects should not be included in school education?
- What does it mean to be a good teacher?
- Private school vs. public school
Ideas of Personal Experience Topics
- Describe your first memory
- What is the brightest memory about your childhood?
- Describe your first success at a sport
- What is your favorite school subject?
- What is your brightest dream about the future?
- When did you meet your first love?
- Who was your first teacher? How they impacted your personality?
- How did upbringing affect your personality
- What do you like about cooking?
- What’s your favorite movie or book?
Expository essay topics for college
- What would you do if you could live forever?
- What was your first day at a college like?
- How to combine your studies with a part-time job and leisure?
- What are the leading causes of rising divorce rates in the USA?
- Has the Internet made communication easier?
- Enumerate tips on how to become financially independent
- The correlation between teenage depression and teenage suicide rates
- Does alcohol actually solve problems?
- If you were to create your own world, what will it be like?
- Describe issues that are not being solved effectively nowadays. Why is that happening?
Topics for high school
- Who is your role model? Why?
- Would you like to be a celebrity?
- What’s your favorite music genre? Why?
- Why is leadership not for everyone?
- Describe how we could colonize other planets
- What would happen if humanity found another form of conscious life that is not as developed as we are? Would we follow the conquistador scenario?
- What makes you passionate about art/sport?
- If you could meet anyone from the past, who would it be?
- Is it more convenient to live in an apartment or in a private house?
- If you could get a superpower, which one would you choose?
Read also: Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Expository essay tips
Please note that the above list is just an example for you to have a better understanding of an expository essay, feel free to invent something of your own! Once you’ve decided on an expository essay topic, you will probably need several tips on how to organize the process of writing. So, here are several pieces of advice to make the process of composing a perfect expository essay easier.
Outline the Structure
To begin with, you should think about the structure of your future essay. For this type of work, the basic structure (Introduction, Body, Conclusion) is the most appropriate. It's better to start with the body, where your primary thoughts are going to be placed. Then, you can think of creating a gripping introduction that would make readers keep reading your paper. Finally, compose a conclusion that will summarize your write-up. It would be a good idea if you restated your thesis statement thus signaling that you've either solved the problem or described it (depending on the expository writing topic and purpose of your paper).
This is probably the most critical part of the essay. You should aim at making readers understand what you are going to discuss as well as keep them interested, they need to understand your expository writing topic. For instance, if you are going to address illiteracy of adults, it can be like:
“It is hard to imagine that today, there are illiterate adults even in developed countries. So what are the causes of this issue? Let’s find out.”
Create the draft
After you’ve structured your thoughts, it is time to create your first draft. Be ready that you will rewrite it several times, though. Anyway, you’d like to expose a problem or an issue, wouldn’t you?
Give it somebody to proofread
When you have been writing for a long time, you might miss some silly mistakes, typos, etc. Some ideas might be formulated more concisely, too. Thus, you should find someone to proofread your paper for you (by the way, this person can evaluate the choice of expository essay topics). You might also want to put it away for one day at least and take a fresh look at it later. You will be surprised how many things you might want to change.
Get professional help
However, it might happen that you don’t feel like you can cope with the task on your own. In this case, of course, you could address professionals to help you out. All you need to do is to find the right ones. Whether you can’t pick up one of the topics for expository essays or just don’t know how to structure your thoughts – these people will help you out.
Read also: Classification Essay Topics
Try other variants to write your essay
The professional writing service at hand can not only assist you in creating a good expository essay topics for your college expository essay but also can do it for you entirely. The team of experts with outstanding experiences is eager to help students with their written assignments including expository essays. Thus, if you think that you are incapable of writing a great paper, then the right choice will be to ask professionals to do.