Once in a while, every student faces difficulties when doing college assignments. However, it doesn’t mean that they don’t have the right skills to complete them. It only means that studying in college is a hard work and writing a descriptive essay without little help is pretty much impossible. So, if you have been assigned to write one, you might find it useful to take a look at our short guide.
Today, we have prepared for you an article on how to write a descriptive essay. It is one of the most popular forms of academic write-ups, and we believe that every student should know how to craft one. Learning how to write more descriptively will definitely improve your writing skills and make your papers more interesting and engaging. Here you will find out how to choose a topic for your assignment, how to organize it, and why it is important to proofread and edit a final piece. What is more, we have prepared for you some additional tips at the end of this article. Keep on reading!
What Is A Descriptive Essay
Let’s start with answering the question “what is a descriptive essay?” The main idea of this type of essay is to illustrate something. Usually, they describe a person, place, memory, experience or an object. Your task is to create a picture of the thing you choose to describe in the reader’s mind with your words. In order to do that you need to appeal towards five senses – sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch. It will give your reader a more in-depth understanding of the thing you are writing about. So, choose what are you going to describe, think as an artist and paint a picture with your words to create an impression in your reader’s mind.
What Topic To Choose?
As always, it is essential to choose the right topic for your assignment. Sometimes instead of giving you a list of topics to choose from, your professor can ask you to come up with a topic on your own. While it may seem to be a great idea to have freedom and be able to choose whatever topic you like, it also can be easy to get lost in options.
A great thing about writing a descriptive essay is that it can be about pretty much anything. The best topic for this kind of paper will be the one that you have a deep connection with. Keep in mind that the more passion you have to write about this specific topic, the easier it will be for you to show emotions to your readers. So, try to find a topic that is interesting to you as well as is easy enough to visualize in your reader’s mind. Here are some ideas of different topics you might consider choosing for your assignment:
- My first day in college.
- The most exciting day of my life.
- The first time I traveled abroad.
- Things I learned from hitchhiking around the world.
- The day I forgot my phone at home.
How To Structure Your Essay
Now that you have a topic, you can actually start writing your essay. If you want your paper to make sense, it needs to be well structured. So what is a good essay structure? In general, it needs to have at least three full paragraphs – an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. A simple guide below will show you how to write a good descriptive essay by using the correct essay structure. You can start writing from the inside out and do the body paragraph first, or you can do your introduction first. It is completely up to you as everyone works differently. But when you are done with your text, it is important to structure it as shown below.
- Write your introduction paragraph. The introduction to your assignment should create a great first impression. Most of your professors will start grading your work as soon as they start reading it, so you want your introduction to be perfect. In this part, you should introduce the reader to the thing you are going to describe. You can also explain why you have chosen the specific thing.
The introduction is something that must be unquestionably strong. Thus, here you will need to come up with a strong thesis statement and show that your thought process is logical. What is more, you must grab your reader’s attention from the first lines.
- Write your body paragraph. This paragraph usually takes up most of the text. The body text consists of three paragraphs, but there is nothing wrong in writing more or fewer. Each body paragraph should present some point. For instance, you can begin with telling your reader about the subject you have chosen and give him or her a full picture of it. Then continue with describing some background and letting your reader feel the atmosphere of what you are writing about. Finish your body part with expressing your emotions and try to make the picture alive. Tell your reader whether you feel sadness, joy or anger with the subject.
- Write your conclusion. Like any other paper, your essay requires a good conclusion. In this paragraph, you should wrap up your writing by summarizing the main points and explaining your emotions and impressions using some new words. Don’t begin your conclusion with some overused phrases like ‘in conclusion,’ ‘in summary,’ ‘as shown in the essay,’ etc. Use all your creativity instead to leave the reader feeling impressed and satisfied. Pay attention to the last sentence as it will stay with the reader even after they finish reading the whole piece. Therefore, use all your creative skills and try to make this sentence as interesting as possible.
Why To Proofread Your Essay?
Many students find proofreading rather boring. What is more, a lot of them underestimate the importance of proofreading and simply decide to skip it. Once they finish writing their descriptive paper, they put it away and forget about the importance of reviewing it. However, the proofreading part is incredibly important. Not only it helps you to check that you have included everything you wanted to say in your writing, but it also helps you to see the mistakes you haven’t seen before. Sometimes it can lead you to some considerable changes in your writing. For instance, you may realize that your title or the first paragraph of your piece doesn’t clearly signal to the reader. Thus, you might want to conduct college essay editing or rewrite some parts to make them better.
Remember that proofreading is an essential part of any writing process. So, once you have completed your work, take a break for some time and give your mind a short rest. Then take a look at your work with a fresh eye and think about your reader. When doing proofreading don’t forget to pay attention to errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Check your sources and make sure that you are using the right formatting style. You can also ask one of your friends to take a look at your paper and ask them if your write-up allows them to see a clear picture, or if something needs to be more clarified.
Some Extra Tips For A Better Descriptive Writing
Here are some more descriptive writing tips you might find useful when working on your assignment:
- The use of vivid language is necessary when you are working on a descriptive essay. Vivid language helps to draw pictures in your reader’s mind, and that’s how your writing becomes memorable.
- Use similes and metaphors in your descriptions to transform your story. You can also use plenty of other figures of speech like personifications, hyperbole, or alliteration. Make the story more interesting for a reader!
- Brainstorming is useful whether you have too many ideas, or just a few. The point of this technique is that all your ideas must go down on paper. It can help you choose a topic, as well as to understand and develop it.
- If you want your descriptive essay to be good, then you need to organize it. Some of the ways to organize your writing – time order (chronological), location (spatial order), etc.
- Keep in mind that when you write this kind of paper, you must put the strongest accent on descriptions of the chosen subject and your emotions.
- Originality is the key, so make sure to avoid clichés.
- If you got stuck with your paper, take a quick break. For instance, taking walks or doing simple exercises while working on your assignment helps focus your thoughts and produce engaging text. Remember that you need mental energy to write creatively.
- And the last one – if your task is to write a description essay, then you need to use precise language. It means you need to use specific adjectives and nouns, and strong action verbs to make the picture in your reader’s mind more interesting and emotional.
Need A Help?
If you are still struggling with your assignment, take a look at our writing service. There is absolutely nothing wrong in asking essay writing help. So, if you can’t come up with a descriptive essay, write a term paper, courseworks, case study papers or any other type of assignments on your own, ask world-class writers for help online on our website. We will help you get the grades you have always wanted while also giving you time to relax and enjoy your college life to the fullest.