Recent innovations in computing, transportation, and telecommunication have combined to increase the frequency and ease of people’s communication, intensifying cross-cultural interactions. While innovations benefited modern society, they also brought some challenges, particularly in the realm of communication. In the post 9/11 world, more people in the US and worldwide recognize the role of effective dialogue in preserving peace, and this understanding reflects in development of a corresponding academic discipline.
Nowadays, communication discipline covers many interesting and complex areas, which makes the choice of communication research topics especially challenging for students. We’ve decided to simplify this task for you and prepared a list of relevant topics, united into ten most common categories.
Four Different Approaches to Studying Communication
Before proceeding to the topics and research essay writing activities, consider the four distinct approaches to studying communication: social science approach, interpretive approach, critical approach, postmodern approach. As an academic discipline addresses creation of meaning in various contexts across cultures using verbal or nonverbal messages through a variety of channels and media, particular focus of your research paper largely depends on the chosen approach.
- Social Science Approach
Social science approach suggests that human behavior is predictable. Also known as functionalist or behaviorist, this approach aims at describing or predicting behavior, relying on quantitative research methods along with observations. This approach stems from research in sociology and psychology, it perceives culture as a measurable variable which influences dialogue as much as personality traits do.
- Interpretive Approach
Interpretative approach treats behaviors as unpredictable and creative. Also known as humanist, this approach uses qualitative methods originating from anthropology and linguistics, aiming at understanding and explaining behaviors instead of predicting them. This approach allows studying culture from perspectives of members rather than through frameworks imposed by researchers.
- Critical Approach
Critical approach suggests that reality is subjective and dialogue depends on contexts in which it occurs. Followers study culture as resulting from power struggles. Rather than only studying human behavior across cultures, critical approach aims at effecting change in society. Followers seek to liberate those individuals who lack power in society.
- Postmodern Approach
Postmodern approach aims at understanding contemporary human condition through subjective people’s perceptions. It sees reality as a collection of many truths. Suggesting that human nature is fluid, this approach challenges social constructions of race, ethnicity, gender.
What Should You Do To Write a Really Good Research Paper
In order to write a really good research paper on communication, consider these simple recommendations:
- Limited scope of your research
Students should choose their research topics depending on the required length of research papers. They should avoid too general topics, limiting focuses of their research to several aspects that can be well-discussed within allowed page limits.
- Referring to several sources
Research paper writing suggests that students should conduct exhaustive research, reviewing several sources on chosen topics. Remember that students relating to one source only can end up with plagiarism accusations.
- Using legitimate sources
Like other pieces of academic writing, research papers require students find credible sources. Although professors often accept books or credible websites as sources, it is always better to use articles from academic journals, because they are peer reviewed.
- Using relevant information
Students should always look for recent publications, making sure that their ideas are still relevant. Information relevance is especially important in communication research questions discussion because this academic discipline is largely influenced by technology innovations that alter its patterns.
- Presenting information objectively
Students should examine their chosen topics, reflecting on all existing perspectives. Rather than presenting only one view point, make sure to highlight and refute the opposite points as well. Present relevant examples to illustrate each point in an interesting manner.
- Making sure your paper has appropriate structure
While writing, include a catchy introduction with a clear thesis statement. Organize your body paragraphs, using topic sentences and bringing evidence that support your view. If it is relevant to your chosen topic, include at least one paragraph where you discuss, as well as refute the opposite point of view. Conclude by summarizing content and presenting your ideas: what changes, if any, does your research promote in relation to the examined phenomenon?
- Proofreading your writing
In order to receive a high grade, make sure your research paper has a good flow and is error free. Either spend some time proofreading the text or consider asking EduBirdie cheap research paper writers for help. Our writers will save your time and bring you an A+.
100 Communication Research Topics
For your convenience, we’ve grouped 100 topics into 10 popular categories. Remember that you can choose from these topics or topics provided by your professor and receive a ready-made custom research paper using EduBirdie research paper online help for communication research topics.
- Journalism practice in newly emerged spaces.
- Participatory journalism concept.
- Journalism & citizenship in globalization context.
- Journalism & peace.
- Journalism & science: science coverage in contemporary press.
- Why do journalists report science the way they do?
- Networked journalism concept.
- Journalism & communication disciplinary growth as study.
- Journalism ethics: good news versus bad news.
- The impact of technology on journalism.
Essay Examples Relevant to Journalism
Public Relations Topics
- Management & excellence in public relations.
- Models of public relations.
- Public relations impact on local & global communities.
- Interactive online communication & its impact on public relations outcomes.
- The process of symmetrical dialogue.
- Comparison of sex roles in public relations.
- Dialogue in public relations practice.
- Effective campaigns major features.
- Science communication & public relations.
- Public relations practitioners & their social media tools use.
Essay Examples Relevant to Public Relations
- Advertising as communication.
- Advertising & its impact on consumption in the mediated marketplace.
- Cross-cultural advertising peculiarities.
- Technology impact on advertising.
- Location-based advertising concept.
- Mobile devices in advertising campaigns.
- Audience involvement in advertising: audience involvement levels.
- Gender role in advertising.
- Possible effects of sexual versus non-sexual advertising appeals.
- Advertising using social media versus advertising using traditional media.
Essay Examples Relevant to Advertising
Interpersonal Communication Topics
- Culture influence on interpersonal dialogue.
- Context impact on interpersonal dialogue quality.
- Interpersonal dialogue stimulation methods.
- Effective interpersonal dialogue in promoting personal & professional success.
- Computer-mediated interaction & its impact.
- Medium role in interpersonal communication.
- Interpersonal information exchange & persuasion.
- Competence concept & its applicability to interpersonal dialogue.
- Interpersonal dialogue in mass media campaigns: role & challenges.
- Dysfunctional interpersonal communication concept.
Essay Examples Relevant to Interpersonal Communication
Intercultural Communication Topics
- Approaches to intercultural information exchange.
- Practical strategies for intercultural dialogue.
- Teaching culture & intercultural communication.
- Artifacts in intercultural information exchange.
- Studying abroad as a factor contributing to intercultural dialogue competence.
- Health-related problems between healthcare providers & ethnic-minority patients.
- International student adaptation to an American campus.
- Intercultural assessment effectiveness.
- Translation as intercultural dialogue.
- High-context cultures versus low-context cultures: intercultural perspective.
Essay Examples Relevant to Intercultural Communication
Topics on Virtual Communication
- Communication in global virtual teams: digital analysis.
- Virtual dialogue & cultural expression.
- Computer-mediated communication & the virtual culture concept.
- “Virtual classroom:” an interactive information exchange & computer-mediated learning space.
- Communication in virtual reality age.
- Virtual team dialogue training.
- Nonverbal dialogue in virtual environments.
- Communication medium & team interaction styles.
- Building trust in virtual teams.
- Interpersonal communication in virtual reality.
Essay Examples Relevant to Virtual Communication
Social Media Research Topics
- Social media contribution into rebellious communication & social movements.
- Peer communication effects in social media on purchase patterns.
- Social media use in the United States & its impact on health.
- Social interactions across media.
- How did new social media change the patterns of information exchange compared to traditional mass media?
- Social media & emergency management.
- Marketing & social media.
- Effects of social media (for instance, Instagram) on consumer perceptions of brands.
- Mass media & organized social action.
- Effects of social networks on effectiveness of political campaigns.
Essay Examples Relevant to Social Media Research
- Leadership: strong leader’s style.
- Relations between leaders’ communication styles & leadership outcomes.
- Strategic internal information exchange in transformational leadership.
- Strategic communication & meaning management.
- Leadership sound in modern age.
- Virtual team leadership: leadership style effects & communication on team outcomes.
- Gender roles & leadership information exchange styles.
- Leadership & key communication process.
- Relationships between leadership communication styles, personality traits, & organizational productivity.
- Leadership communication style & employee satisfaction.
Essay Examples Relevant to Leadership
- Media & their effects on negotiation outcomes.
- Persuasive dialogue in logistic negotiation.
- Negotiation as a language-centered activity.
- Negotiation styles in intercultural dialogue.
- Mediated negotiation: effects of agents & mediators on negotiations.
- Negotiation in social conflict.
- Political negotiation versus business negotiation.
- Negotiation of environmental disputes & judges as case managers.
- Bias, credibility, & mediation.
- Negotiation process & gender differences.
Essay Examples Relevant to Negotiations
Other Communication Research Topic Ideas
- Democracy, expression, & social media.
- Peer influence & teenage sexting.
- Privacy in social networking.
- Yellow journalism & its social role.
- Political rhetoric on local, state, federal, or international level.
- Organizations & social media.
- Effects on management of change & organizational culture.
- The relationships between social interactions, cognition, & emotions.
- Relational communication: romantic relationships versus friendships.
- Speech as communication type.
Essay Examples Relevant to Communication Research
Read also: Find an easy way to pay someone to write a paper.
Research topic for communication studies can be especially interesting, but it is also likely to require student spend more time on research and writing. You need to not only choose the topic and approach that fits it best but also spend considerable amount of time allocating and reviewing relevant sources. EduBirdie employs writers who specialize in communication research and look forward to using their academic knowledge and writing experience to assist you in "do my research paper for me" request. So, hit the button, make an order, and enjoy your A+ for an excellent communication research paper.