The US society values individuality greatly and sees it as a trait that, if harnessed properly, could yield important results like original ideas, creative approaches, attitudes that can enhance or innovate virtually any field of human activity. Both within and beyond the professional setting, assessing candidates on an individual basis is one of the key principles for any selection performed.
Most college students would encounter multiple situations during their lifetime when they would reveal certain aspects of their inner selves upon a request. Hence, learning how to write about yourself is an important skill that needs to be mastered in order to meet these challenges.
Why It Is Important Knowing How to Write About Yourself
Knowing how to write an essay about yourself is essential for many grounds. Some of the most common situations when people would need this is for professional reasons – to describe themselves to an employer or an academic institution for admission. While your biography or previous performance record normally have a huge weight in evaluating your candidacy, there are some aspects that may only be conveyed by you personally in a clearly-formulated, well-structured, efficient essay or block of text.
Among the personal information for which a self-description is indispensable are your purposes, life goals, long-term career vision, primary motivation, concerns, personal challenges envisioned, honest assessment of your personal strengths and weaknesses. Writing such papers openly is an important self-analysis tool – it is not a coincidence that many psychologists use this technique for gaining better understanding of themselves or for fighting stress.
Finally, you could write out of interest, to track personal evolution (intellectual, spiritual, moral) or allow reflection on your own life and personality.
How to Start an Essay About Yourself & How to Structure It
Like many other essay types, this one would also have an introduction, body, conclusion. Introductory part may vary a lot depending on the scope of the essay. To capture attention, it could start with describing a life event or story defining your life/ personality, a certain belief or state of mind characterizing you. It could start with some basic notes on your biography or could provide some important context describing where you are now in life. You could share a personal vision, dream, life credo and efforts of pursuing it.
Main body would contain a deeper exploration/ dissection of the traits mentioned with more factual details and real-life examples confirming them. One could mention and explain which challenges, experience, background exactly led to the evolution of these traits.
If this essay is part of professional or academic competition, the story should explore/ tell how your experience, interests, achievements, developed competencies, and personal traits qualify you for a given position and how obtaining this position is in line with your aspirations and goals.
In this kind of writing, it is particularly important making the conclusion strong and memorable. The conclusion should restate the idea, perhaps, less directly, that all your life and professional experience make you a good match for the targeted position but it should do much more than this, for instance, mention some relevant open questions regarding one’s biography, mention a long-sought dream that could be fulfilled, offer prophetic vision about one’s own future, short mention of one’s meaning of life and potentially, how it relates to current goals, very brief distilled overview of one’s entire past along with some interpreting remarks, especially, in case of an autobiography.
10 Tips on How to Write an Essay About Yourself
Below are a few recommendations worth considering when writing about yourself:
- be honest - even learning how to write a paragraph about yourself requires knowing how to open/ reveal your soul, your past, or your mind. For some people, is a real challenge, yet simply speaking about this is not enough – you should speak selectively, with a message and agenda in mind. Once this skill evolves, one could produce complex stories about oneself and even write voluminous autobiographical works.
- do not exaggerate – modesty and objectivity are valuable traits in every human, regardless of talent or achievements. Exhaustively list any merits/ achievements as part of the application but avoid by all means forming an impression of an arrogant, self-important person.
- if you are applying for admission to an academic institution within the US or from abroad, focus on achievements, talents, along with interests. As nobody expects exceptional achievements at this stage in life, it is quite natural shifting your focus entirely on who you are as a person, where your interests or motivation reside.
- keep your topic narrow in order to cover it efficiently. If what you are writing is not an autobiography, then only cover a few select stories, moments, aspects that would help explain and promote your message. Obviously, careful selection of these moments is mandatory while writing about yourself.
- understand whether you should be concise or not. Knowing how much you should expand is essential since, in some circumstances, brevity is a strict requirement, while in others, detailed account, description of the mentioned traits/ aspects is expected.
- introduce yourself – the extent to which you do this obviously depends on the type of writing but a minimum of information in this regard is a must.
- avoid delicate subjects - like it or not, every historical period has its own taboos and as history proves it, people often wait for the right time to explore or discuss many of these. An example could be the evolution of attitudes towards LGBTQ in US society – unlike earlier, now such topics are discussed freely. Besides such subjects, there are many sensitive controversial subjects exploring which might be reasonable in certain circumstances in controversial argumentative essays, but not here as you don’t want to experiment too much when writing about yourself.
- avoid clichés – the best way of achieving this is by exploring complex, narrowly defined topics, by describing highly individual experiences, highly specific scenarios, highly original stories and thoughts.
- don’t be afraid to talk about your peculiar struggles and associated achievements even if you think these might seem minor to others. Knowledge, empathy, and wisdom help people recognize such cases and accept the effort even without experiencing or fully grasping it. The determination and skills required for overcoming such situations are not much different than those for overcoming other personal or professional challenges. If talking about yourself means talking a lot about your struggle as a leader, explore some concepts of leadership essay.
- if you have difficulties thinking objectively about yourself, always consider asking people that know you well about the key traits or talents they associate with you. Apart from helping with your essay, it should be really interesting to learn how other people see you.
If you still find it hard writing such a paper, remember that you may always delegate this task to our professional writers. They will write an essay for cheap but still respect all provided instructions and produce high-quality work. Obviously, good essays would require sharing some personal information necessary for tailoring the content to your biography.
Writing a Letter About Yourself
When considering how to write a letter about yourself, you should take into account some additional aspects:
- start by mentioning who you address the letter to. Targeting individuals is preferred but if not possible, you could use collective, general resignations, like ”Dear customer service department”, “To whom it may concern.”
- introduce yourself properly (name, position) – this helps readers put all the information about you in a context. For instance, your professional opinion on employment processes in a company would normally have more weight if people know you are an HR management professional. Similarly, writing from a position of power/ accomplishment about some career challenges you experienced gives the reader more confidence you have managed to overcome or control these aspects and teach others something.
- know your audience – get a good understanding of who exactly might read your paper and in what settings. This might help filter relevant from non-relevant content. For instance, if you are dealing with an admission committee, you should avoid corresponding clichés that these people might encounter on a daily basis.
- writing such letters is essentially a self-advertisement of the author, as it makes sense to think very carefully about the correct way of portraying your strengths and weaknesses so that the overall image is positive and realistic. Covering weaknesses is not mandatory but it is normally a sign of good & honest self-analysis - description listing only your positive traits would likely look artificial and even suspicious. However, think twice when listing weaknesses that might compromise your application.
- state purpose of the letter, your motivation for sending it – in other words, make your expectations & goals clear. This is a prerequisite for efficient communication, especially in written form.
- thank everybody, bow out gallantly. Don’t forget about providing your contacts so that you make it convenient for people to reach you if needed.
Keep in mind that at Edubirdie, we help with many more paper types. Writers could write my thesis paper for me, various research papers, coursework, essays on social issues topics most relevant for the US, argumentative papers, term papers, case studies, speeches, etc. Do not wait any longer!
Essay Example Written By Our Expert
When writing personal essay about yourself examples can be of great help since they are viewed as both templates and demonstrations of how to apply many theoretical principles and suggestions in practice. Find below such an example of a short composition:
It is always hard talking about yourself on a deeper level: you not only should be honest and objective but also provide carefully selected information that defines the essence of your personality. I think of my self-worth nowadays in rather realistic terms knowing that I have a collection of both positive and negative traits.
Among the positive traits I have are my caring attitude and tendency to protect those who I deem close. I highly value my honest and straightforward manner of communicating with people, which, later in life, I learned to control better in order to avoid being offensive. I have witnessed on several occasions how this honesty helped people get a clearer perspective over their personal issues and make progress towards solving them.
As we are defined by our values/ beliefs, it is worth mentioning that the character traits I view as most desirable in a person are: dependability, trustworthiness, responsibility, honesty, conscientiousness, respectfulness. The main thing providing meaning in my life is ensuring the wellbeing of people I hold dear but also making positive changes, however, small, that would improve the life of my community.
I recognize the tendency for external control as being a defining trait of my personality. Sometimes this backfires, in particular when I am intrusive in the lives of other people. I discovered as a teenager that I can manipulate, lead, and impose my view among my siblings and peers. At first, the control that I exerted on my siblings came along my role as a protector that I was starting to realize. Later, it slowly took the form of parenting behavior and was driven by genuine care and responsibility for their lives. Nowadays, I’d like to think that my guidance and support are of some value to the people I know.
As for my professional life, meaning is provided by the desire to be appreciated for my conscientious attitude, discipline, competence. My seriousness and deep involvement, as well as my capabilities for leading and decision making, could be of great value in organizing small groups of people. However, I am probably more successful at leading by example and providing direct assistance/ guidance rather than making deep connections with people in order to motivate them.
All these mentioned beliefs, values, and traits (good or bad) define who I am. They represent all I have been through, witnessed, and experienced throughout the years and how I reacted to this as a growing/ developing individual. The best I could hope for is to make good use of all the positive aspects while controlling the negative ones.
Questions and answers:
What things to write about yourself?
When writing about yourself, you could describe your achievements, values, virtues, beliefs, interests, talents as well as how you’ve developed any of these (what caused them, how exactly it happened, what were the outcomes). You could write about personal struggles and any successes achieved while battling them.
How do you write a bio about yourself?
Writing an autobiography involves reflecting on your life and carefully selecting and listing a number of important moments that you think were essential in shaping your path in life and your current personality.
How do you write an introduction about yourself?
To write an introduction about yourself, you could begin with mentioning your most exciting, original, captivating, or defining life stories, personality traits, or situations that revealed your character to yourself or others.
We Can Write About You!
Writing about yourself takes many forms, some of which may be more challenging than others. Nevertheless, one could master this skill by following proper guidelines and reviewing examples. One way to produce high-quality essays is to contract professional writing services.
With Edubirdie, you can transparently review and select your preferred writer based on their performance. Work together with this writer, provide instructions, information, request drafts, provide feedback, to complete a paper matching your requirements. If you find the result unsatisfactory, ask for free revisions or even request a refund. All these are intended to minimize risks faced by clients and allow them to foc on their tasks. Why not give it a try yourself?