Living in world of constant conflicts, political turbulence, and uncertainty, arms limitation issue remains most debatable as well as controversial topic. Knowing how to write a gun control essay becomes difficult in both cases – either pro or against it. Firstly, one should explain one’s point and use arguments. Secondly, while writing research, it’s vital to analyze opposite opinions. Lastly, student should choose topic that would offer solutions and be persuasive enough to engage or inspire audience.
Studying hundreds of essays together with research papers from our top essay writers in Psychology, Sociology, Political Science, Education, Healthcare, and Law, we came up with this gun control essay writing guide. Reading through each section will learn how to write introduction for essay, what has to be included, and see actual example of original essay, penned by our best essay writer.
Ways to Select Good Gun Control Topic
Before writing thoughts, arguments, or ideas down, choose good topic that will make audience engaged and your position clear. In order to have good start and write best essay, begin with the following:
- Always start with research on topic of essay on gun control before taking sides. Read on the existing laws, check assumptions or beliefs by turning to reliable academic sources.
- Pick clear side that would be PRO or AGAINST stricter gun laws. Try to find at least 3-5 arguments that support position. Write them down!
- Remember about target audience, so speak in specific terms if you are targeting the Law students. Provide educational statistics, news reports, if you are focusing on school education. Knowing audience helps essay targeted.
- Always start writing with gun control essay outline that should include thesis statement and 3-5 arguments that support position.
- Always include paragraph with counter arguments plus opposing ideas.
- Backup information with sources wherever possible or necessary.
- Choose topic related to thesis statement, so audience instantly knows your position, but is still intrigued.
Read also: Our article "National Honor Society Essay Tips"
Pro-Gun and Against Topic Examples
Pro-Gun Control Essay Topics:
- It will minimize social risks with list of weapon holders.
- It should help to identify potential criminals in society.
- Stricter arms limitation is direct way to decrease daily violence on TV screens.
- Gun control should be unified across the United States.
- Comparison of the U.S. states with severe arms reduction to weaker ones.
- Benefits: from economics to social perception.
- Increased crimes vs youth violence.
- Will stricter limitations decrease free circulation of illegal weapons?
- Economic constituents of gun control in Texas.
- What is preventing government from implementation of stricter limitation laws?
Against Gun Control Essay Topics:
- Conservative take on gun control will help to decrease law violations.
- What is hidden behind arms limitation debates?
- Why is more not always equal to better in arms reduction initiatives?
- Taxes vs stricter gun control issue.
- Australia and Sweden as examples of recently modified arms control.
- Is lesser arms reduction liberation or a chance to re-work the existing laws?
- Bernie Sanders on Gun Control Laws.
- Analysis of arms reduction across the U.S. states.
- Pros and Cons of current arms reduction laws.
- Discussion on school aggression and why an increased arms limitation is likely to fail.
Arguments For and Against
Wishing to make things easier for your essay, we picked five arguments for both sides of issue. Feel free to brainstorm ideas and use them in your own essays:
For those who are Pro-Gun Control:
- Increased arms limitation laws will provide government with more restrain over weapon holders in the United States.
- Stricter gun control laws will assure society protection by making it possible to track down potential criminals, based on their personal information provided by purchase.
- Pro-Gun position calls up society to participate in prevention of violence in schools or colleges.
- Reduction laws should change image of weapons in media.
- Gun control laws create more difficult for banned weapons to enter country from abroad.
For those who are against stricter gun control laws:
- Lesser arm limitation will protect both sides of issue by allowing citizens to have privacy.
- Focusing on existing gun control policies will address flaws of current legislation.
- Lesser arms reduction will not force criminals to turn to illegal gun possession more, but will allow law enforcement officers to work within existing medium.
- Stricter laws do not affect number or nature of violence per se.
- Increased arms limitation leads to increased mental and legislative pressure in society that makes weapon possession tracking even more complex.
Read also: Professional Legal Essay Writing Service by Top Writers
Tips to Write an Essay Properly
Writing good gun control essay or research paper will be successful if student follows these simple five writing tips:
- Choose good topic that you can stand behind or support with proper research.
- Always check sources twice. Use only reliable journals or books.
- Provide unbiased opinion, avoid being harsh or emotional right from gun control essay introduction part.
- While writing about opposite views, support it with credible evidence. Write of controversy as you encounter it.
- Always include Works Cited / References page and check formatting rules twice for in-text citations.
Note: References stage is one of the most difficult essay parts! Still, with EduBirdie, every student has great bibliography helper that can guide through most complex citation rules!
Different Types of Essays
One of the most challenging tasks is to different essay types peculiarities. Let us review differences:
- Argumentative essay – provides strong arguments that support position. Such essay type should always include reliable sources together with analysis. Also you need correctly compose outline for an argumentative essay!
- Cause and Effect essay – take event or law related to arms reduction, as it is in our case, proceed by telling about its outcomes. Describe cause before making conclusion. An example: take speech by any politician and write what effect it had on society. Read also: How to Write a Cause and Effect Essay?
- Definition essay – clearly define term or issue. In our case, let us take the Second Amendment and human rights. Try and define it!
- Expository essay – should expose facts and deeper research. If you believe that government only has profits on gun control debates, research, expose facts.
- Persuasive paper – task is to persuade reader. As it concerns some events, it’s allowed to get a little emotional. Unlike argumentative essay where writer only speaks about dry facts, persuasive essay is more like a literature task.
- Reflection essay – take issue of arms limitation and develop personal thoughts or opinion.
- Annotated Bibliography essay – research, scan academic journals, books, news reports, and websites. Complete short summary of each source next to bibliography.
Persuasive Essay on Gun Control
As name already implies, gun control persuasive essay should make audience believe as well as support your claims. Unlike argumentative essay, writer must sound credible. There are three persuasive writing pillars, which are Ethos, Logos, and Pathos. Ethos is where one provides credibility by using sources with facts. Logos is where one uses logic by helping audience understand ideas by stating why it is good or bad. Pathos quals emotions. Debate freely! It’s where one should make readers feel empathy or shock, relate to your essay. Just be sensitive and caring!
Argumentative Gun Control Essay for an A Grade
Argumentative essay on gun control is probably most difficult type, considering that there are different opinions. Make argument while write as it’s crucial. Secret here is that there are different argument types like Rogerian or Classical models. Choose any that fits required writing style or instructions.
Classical Argumentation is argument where you write in five-discourse style that start with Introduction and Narration, Confirmation by providing sources with facts, Concession and Refutation that tell about both debate sides, and Conclusion making point or supporting argument in an essay.
Toulmin’s Argumentation model has data or ground for claims that are instantly supported by warrants of materials. It should include many academic sources or news reports, support arguments. Now Rogerian model of argumentation is where it is necessary to research of ideas from both sides to find common points. Come to mutual understanding for common good. In gun control argumentative essay, it is one of best methods to choose from.
Tips on How to Write Gun Control Paper Research
The most important part in writing of gun control research paper is careful planning, editing, and proofreading. Start with good topic idea and outline, be sure that thesis holds clear position. Speech style and writing should not be dual in perception.
Remember to use topic sentences in each body paragraph, use “one paragraph – one idea” as a rule. Before writing conclusion, let audience know that there’s opposite opinions paragraph. At times they can be intertwined, therefore, end paragraphs with analysis of each claim.
Finally, no good research paper on gun control can be delivered without careful editing and proofreading. At EduBirdie, we provide all kinds of work from grammar and punctuation editing to expert analysis of terms, logic, sources check. Remember that good research essay will always be better and reliable if it is checked and edited by experienced person!
As we know, the best way to learn is by example! With this thought in mind, we provide original argumentative essay on arms limitation laws.