Ethnology, ethnography as well as anthropology is a science about ethnocultural diversity that investigates the origin of different peoples, their history, settlement, peculiarities of life and culture, as well as ethnopsychological diversity. All of these subject areas never lose their relevance as they allow students to learn more about their ethnic and cultural background, as well as about the history of mankind in general.
One of the types of final work on the above subject areas is an essay. At the same time, the final grade of the student often depends on the successful wording of the topic of the essay.
Let's take a closer look at how to write an essay correctly, and race and ethnicity essay topics.
How to Write a Race and Ethnicity Essay?
Before proceeding with the assignment, you need to understand the specifics of race and ethnicity essays. Overall, it’s a complicated and complex topic that requires thorough research, comprehensive approach, a lot of time and effort to complete.
Firstly, these topics have a complex history of being used for propaganda and discrimination. So, each source you use should be checked for fairness and proper use of scientific method if you don’t want to be manipulated and manipulate your audience as well.
Secondly, race and ethnicity is a personal issue for a lot of people. This means that there often is certain personal bias connected to these topics. So, you need to distance yourself from personal opinions and rely on facts and scientific method to support your point.
In addition, a complex history of racial and ethnic relationship often needs mentioning in your essay even if it seemingly has nothing to do with the topic you’ve chosen. This will provide the context for the current situation and help to avoid some common misconceptions related to the issues.
Lastly, one of the most effective ways to illustrate your point on race and ethnicity is to include a personal experience of someone from the group discussed. While anecdotal evidence is not representative of the experience of the whole group, it can help to empathetically connect with the issue and humanize your work.
What should the structure of a race and ethnicity essay be?
The order of writing an essay is usually reduced to three steps.
- Introductory part
The introductory part should contain the formulation of the problem and its essence, a rhetorical question, a quote, etc. it is important to create a certain mood and explain the problem to the reader.
- Main part
In the main part, you can touch on the history of the issue, give different points of view on the problem, provide arguments and justifications for each of them, and make sub-conclusions. The arguments you can use include different situations from life, opinions of scientists, evidence, etc.
In the conclusion, all the points made in the main part are summed up. The reader should come to a logical resolution based on the arguments given. In the end, the problem is reintroduced and a final conclusion is drawn.
What is the difference between race and ethnicity?
Race is usually viewed as a biological concept, referring to a person's physical characteristics, while ethnicity is viewed as a social science construct that describes a person's cultural identity.
Tips on How to Find Interesting Essay Topics on Race and Ethnicity
Let's go over some basic tips for choosing race and ethnicity essay ideas:
- Before you choose the topic, you need to take into account what your target audience is. Based on this, the topic should be chosen so that there is an opportunity to show off your abilities to the examiner, namely: originality, the ability to logically structure and prove your point, literacy, professional competence, etc.
- When choosing a topic from the proposed list, you should choose the one you have certain knowledge or experience on, a strong opinion, or something you are curious about.
- If the essay is targeted towards an employer, then it would be better if both the topic and the content of the essay reflect your character, sincerity, originality, humanity, and individuality.
List of Race and Ethnicity Essay Topics
Let's take a look at the general essay topics on race and ethnicity.
- The problem of modernization of Middle Eastern-type societies.
- Small peoples: political and legal mechanisms for protection and development.
- Activities of public authorities for the preservation and development of national cultures.
- Ethno-political conflicts: settlement technology - international and domestic experience.
- Ethnic identity and its structure.
- Urban and rural ethnicity
- Diasporas and ethnic minorities in America, political and legal the foundations of their development.
- Ethno-national customs, traditions, rituals. Their interaction under conditions of a multinational state.
- How to account for race and ethnicity in research methods?
- Ethnology as a Science.
- The concepts of ethnos, people, and nationality.
- Ethnicity - signs and theories.
- Sociological aspects of interethnic relations.
- The problem of representation of races and ethnicities
- Psychological aspects of interethnic relations.
- Political aspects of interethnic relations.
- The role of race and ethnicity in higher education
- Concept, structure, causes, and dynamics of interethnic conflicts.
- Interethnic conflicts in America and in the world.
- The role of media in issues of race and ethnicity
- Race and ethnicity in healthcare: trends in cancer, diabetes, and heart disease
- Subject and methods of ethnology.
- Evolutionary trend in ethnology.
- Diffusionism, its features, and founders.
- School of Sociology in Ethnology.
- Functionalism and structuralism in ethnology.
- The direction of cultural relativism and its significance in ethnology.
- The latest concepts in ethnology.
- Race and ethnicity in class issues
- Ethnogenesis and its main factors.
- Ethnopolitology - concept and features.
- The essence of modernization in traditional societies and its forms.
- The role of race in incarceration rates and parole decisions
- Social media trends in racial and ethnic issues
- Geographic classification of ethnic groups.
- Racial and anthropological classification of ethnic groups.
- Linguistic classification of ethnic groups.
- Economic and cultural classification.
- Religious classification.
- Subject, tasks, and methods of ethnopsychology. Marginalized and adaptive reactions.
- Features of demographic behavior.
- Interethnic marriages.
- Race and ethnicity in sports media
- Racial and ethnic representation in modern art
- Gender issues in different races and ethnicities
- Race and ethnicity in historical literature
- The growth of xenophobia and nationalism in America.
- Globalization as a friend or foe of ethnic groups.
- Is a single world ethnos possible?
- Popular culture as a factor of interethnic assimilation.
African American Research Paper Topics
- African American art and literature
- African American family lives
- National African American politics in modern America.
- Ethnic and civil identity - which is more important in African American experience?
- How to reduce the degree of interethnic tension in America?
- African American ethnography.
- Ethno-political African American conflicts and ways to resolve them.
- Ethnic African American identity and its structure.
- Main features of African American state national policy.
- Ethnic African American customs, traditions, and rituals.
Native American Essay Topics
- Postcolonial psychology of Native American people
- The history of the social organization of pre-class Native American society.
- Native American ethnology.
- Specifics of Native American education
- Research problems of cultural/social anthropology.of Native American tribes
- Endangered Native American languages
- History of science of native Americans.
- History of religious beliefs and religions.of Native American tribes
- Legacy of Mesoamerican civilizations
- Native American mythology and its role in modern culture
Latin America Paper Topics
Let's take a look at Latin American race and ethnicity essay ideas.
- Ethnology of the peoples of Latin America.
- Religion, Celebration, and Identity in Contemporary Latin America.
- Traditionalism in modern society in Latin America.
- Contemporary nationalism in Latin America.
- The ideal of beauty in the ethnic traditions of Latin America.
- Problems of musical ethnography in Latin America.
- Traditional culture of the Latin American people.
- Activities of public authorities for the preservation and development of national cultures.
- National policy of Latin America in the sixteenth and twentieth centuries: the main characteristics and problems of evolution.
- Specifics of Latin American urban structure
Multiculturalism Essay Topics
Next, we'll take a look at multiculturalism essay topics on race and ethnicity.
- Two models of multiculturalism
- Models of multiculturalism in America.
- The problem of indigenous peoples.
- Cultural status of national minorities within countries.
- Multiculturalism and the status of women in the world.
- Multiculturalism and Christianity.
- The theory of multiculturalism.
- The concept of multiculturalism in practice.
- Linguistic pluralism in America.
- State policy in relation to multiculturalism.
Diversity Essay Topics
- Cultural diversity. What does this mean?
- Cultural diversity: the history of a complex concept.
- Cultural diversity today.
- Protection of cultural diversity and international cooperation.
- How to revive mutual interest in culture between countries?
- What is the attitude of society to the phenomena of globalization and the unification of cultural diversity?
- Transition from the concept of cultural exclusion to cultural diversity.
- Multiculturalism as a reasonably managed cultural diversity.
- Cultural diversity is a driving force for development.
- My personal experience with cultural diversity.