Living in modern age where majority of social communications take place online, social media has a great impact on how people interact. Capturing millions of users from all over the world, social media became one of the most popular communication means and information sharing. Starting from news reports, family photos and up to large networks of like-minded professionals, it is a part of life not only for younger generation but for all people with computers, tablet or irreplaceable mobile.
As a result, it is important to research this subject and have a say about it! Social media essay can speak of both positive and negative effects, make strong arguments or call to action. In our essay writing guide, we will focus on popular online platforms, essay on popular social networks structure, and list social media essay topic examples to inspire and motivate you!
Definition & Most Popular Social Media Networks
When students ask our writers about what is social media essay, it is difficult to give a definite answer because this subject is as simple as it is controversial. Some people may see its benefits, while others may state that it has a negative influence on modern youth. As a result, there are numerous ideas to choose from, depending on style of writing. For example:
- Persuasive Social Media Essay. Such essay is defined by persuasion about impacts of social media or statement about cases related to social networks.
- Argumentative Essay on Social Media. It is defined by strong argumentation. An opinion is made clear with an explanation, good sources, and analysis.
- Personal Reflection on Social Media. In such kind of an essay, speak of personal experience or make a review from one’s personal viewpoint.
- Speech on Social Media. Such essay is usually shorter and is aimed at particular aspect of networking. Finding a good speech topic may be difficult, so it is good to mind special occasion speech topics rules and structure.
If you focus on particular site for online interaction, make sure that it fits one of essay styles above. In practice, it means that if writing about Twitter, it is best to mention why and how it is used by politicians and celebrities. Let us review some popular networks in brief:
Launched first in 2004, Facebook became one of the most popular social media networks for both young and old. Writing about Facebook, make sure to mention cultural, political, economic, advertising, and even environmental aspects because Facebook is not only a place where people spend hours daily but a powerful power resource.
With 9 years since its birth, Instagram is a photo and video-sharing media platform for mobile devices. Writing Instagram related essay, remember to mention how it impacts young people and talk of privacy issues, if relevant.
Definitely, most popular video hosting social media network. From politicians and musicians to travelers and protesters - it is all in YouTube videos. Writing an argumentative essay, think of whether this video platform is a voice of freedom or an archive under clever guidance.
Available in 22 languages, Snapchat is a unique messaging platform with various multimedia features like Live Stories from remote parts of the world and amazing news channels, based on personal preferences. A good choice to analyze when an essay speaks of positive networking impacts.
Instant news and social media network service, famous for short “tweets”. From local news to emergency situations and big political changes, Twitter is where people hear it first. Insignificant in words, yet containing great power. A voice of millions in short messages, indeed!
Read also: Reflective Essay Examples for Better Understanding
Proper Social Media Essay Structure
What makes social media essay successful is correct structure. No matter what type of an essay you are about to write, a basic outline should include:
- Introduction with a hook sentence and strong thesis.
- 3 to 5 body paragraphs.
- Conclusion and call to action, if relevant.
As students all over the United States discuss Facebook or Twitter in their essay assignments, they always struggle when brainstorming good hook sentence ideas. It is what catches attention of an audience and makes college professors continue reading with great interest. A hook sentence can be an unusual fact, an argument or even assumption about popular networking outlets that are relevant to body image and attitude. Social Media essay introduction should briefly introduce chosen topic and end up with a strong thesis statement that poses questions or states solid opinionated arguments.
Just like professional creative writers for hire, you have to brainstorm interesting and inspiring ideas for your essay to become interesting and unique. In body paragraphs, try to keep to one statement (idea) - one paragraph rule. If mentioning certain facts, support them with sources, statistics, and evidence, if applicable. Likewise, discussing negative sides, remember to mention opposite opinions as well.
Coming to final part, which is essay conclusion, sum up all discovered facts discovered and make a strong statement, simply re-phrasing. If necessary, make call to action and tell about what has to be done or make assumptions about the future of Instagram, Facebook or any other network chosen.
Read Also: 100 Social Studies Project Topics and Guidelines for Writing Social Study Essays
Positive & Negative Effects of Social Media
In order to help one’s written assignment be strong, it is recommended to focus either on positive and negative effects of social media essay writing. Of course, it is possible to write of both sides, yet make sure that opinion is clear. Let us review positive and negative effects to better understand cons and pros alike.
Good things first:
- Social media makes it possible for students to study online, making distance-learning possible.
- Helps address important socio-cultural issues, so they become known globally.
- Contributes to distribution of valuable information about environmental issues.
- Acts as great source of instant news and help in emergency situations.
- Networking connects people from different countries, helping diverse cultures live in peace.
- Helps to connect professionals and assists them in finding each other in social groups and expert networks listing.
- An impact of popular online platforms helps to avoid bias in representation of information from political oppositions and vulnerable minorities.
- Promotion related to cultural works and online presence of artists and creative inventors.
Unfortunately, there are negative sides as well, including:
- Privacy issues. It often seems that anything that happens instantly appears online.
- Sharing of information on Facebook or Instagram can violate personal privacy.
- There is a negative impact on body image among young people.
- As college students spend time online, their grades drop and performance lowers.
- Identity theft risks.
- Excessive online interaction negatively impacts physical interaction.
- There is very little to almost no control as to what information is shared on Facebook, Instagram or any other site.
- Facebook and Instagram can easily become addictive and even dangerous because of constant dependence on peer pressure and bullying.
As one can see, an impact of social media essay can vary from topic to topic, which is another challenging issue that most U.S. students face, thinking of good college essay topics and strong argumentative titles.
Successful Essay Topic Examples
Let us review several good social media essay topics, so get ready to feel inspired as you look through ideas list!
- Online classes in Messenger App and Distance Learning.
- How Facebook helps voices of vulnerable population to be heard.
- Online chat-room communication styles versus physical contact.
- Is Facebook really safe?
- Does strong online media profile help to get better employment?
- Environmental impact of networking.
- Is Twitter going to make newspapers obsolete?
- Instagram is a source of narcissism and low self-esteem: personal analysis.
- Economical aspect of Facebook and Twitter.
- Representation of XYZ political power on Instagram.
- Why are ABC Facebook groups so popular, in my opinion.
- 10 reasons why Facebook is not for me.
- How can parents keep their children safe on popular media outlets?
- Facebook addiction: when enough is really enough?
- Five ways how I would improve or change XYZ network for our society.
- Online education versus classroom education.
- Is online tutoring shadowing standard college education?
- Are bloggers journalists? Should blogging be equal to professional writing?
- How Snapchat helped me to find out about XYZ issue.
- Instagram posting and college students - time management tips.
- Facebook leads to addiction issues.
- Safety and privacy matters of Instagram.
- Cyberbullying is as dangerous as offline bullying.
- Identity theft and personality disorders online.
- Legislative rules of online networking in the United States.
Note: These are only most basic topic ideas to help you choose one that fits best. Remember that any topic can be chosen as long as it has strong argumentation and voices an opinion. It is important to always include sources and statistics that backup specified facts.
If a grading rubric requires Works Cited or References page, remember about in-text citing and correct references. It is as much important as getting your final draft proofread.
Writing Plagiarism-free and Excellent Essays is Possible
Now that we have a good topic for an essay and learned more about correct structure, it is time to learn how to avoid plagiarism. It is well-known that topic of online networking is filled with cliches and it is easy to get trapped when quoting someone or repeating well-known facts. As you want to come up with an excellent topic or idea, you may feel stuck or ensure that what you already wrote is good enough.
Our professional writers at EduBirdie are ready to help you feel confident and safe about this particular topic or any other written assignment subject. Just choose an expert writer that fits, based on subject and credentials, share your task, and control every aspect of assigned writer’s work.
Unlike many services, EduBirdie keeps entire process transparent and one pays an essay writer only when he or she is fully satisfied with a final result. There are no hidden charges and payments are fully refundable.
Turning to EduBirdie writing help, you receive:
- Professional essay writers with years of experience and PhD or Master’s degrees.
- Plagiarism-free papers.
- Writers database, based on expertise, subject, and number of papers completed.
- Free revisions.
- You are always in direct contact once writer is assigned.
- 24/7 support.