Choosing the right topic for an art research paper is crucial for your academic success. If you pick one you’re passionate about, you can showcase your knowledge, creativity, and critical thinking and provide a unique perspective on the subject matter. You can engage and entice the reader and ensure your research stays viable in the future.
People have been creating art for centuries, so there are countless art research paper topics to choose from. To pick the right one, you should:
- Choose an art branch - There are literature, music, film, performing (e.g., theater and dance) and visual arts (e.g., painting, drawing, sculpture, architecture, etc.), other branches to choose from.
- Select a specific aspect - You can opt for an artistic movement, a specific period, a particular artist, or decide to analyze a specific work of art.
- Come up with several ideas - Brainstorm different ideas you’re interested in analyzing and conduct research to find relevant information on each. That way, you’ll discover numerous art research topics to use as inspiration. Make sure there are enough credible sources to support your research.
- Narrow down your topic - Lock in on one or two ideas that will help you write a detailed, thought-provoking, and engaging research paper.
To help you narrow down the list, we’ve rounded up some of the most interesting art topics for research papers. Read on to get some inspiration for your writing assignment.
15 Most Interesting Art History Research Paper Topics
Art history teaches you to analyze the visual and textual evidence in various artworks to understand how different artists saw the world and expressed their emotions. Here are some of the most exciting topics.
- Artistic Freedom vs. Censorship: Art in Nazi Germany
- From Canvas to Camera: Photography as Art
- Gothic Art in Medieval England
- The Death of the Author: Barthes’s Theory Debunked
- The History of Abstract Expressionism
- Art and Culture: An Intellectual History
- Expressionism in Western Europe
- Hidden Messages in Famous Works of Art
- Art as Propaganda in France and America
- Wartime Art: A Visual History of Warfare
- A History of Neoclassical Art
- Victorian Beauty Standards in Art
- Constructivism: The Birth of the Russian Avant-Garde
- Gothic Culture: History, Literature, and Visual Arts
- The Rise of Sequential Art: The History of Comics and Graphic Novels
Top 15 Art Topics on Ancient Civilizations
Artworks dating back millennia reveal a lot about different ancient civilizations. Their artistic contributions are still significant today, especially in modern architecture. If you want to analyze their artwork, here are some of the best art research topics you can use.
- Symbolism in Ancient Egyptian Art
- The Art History of Ancient Rome
- Ancient Greek Sculpture: The Art of Classical Greece
- Primeval Musical Instruments in Mesopotamia and Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Roman vs. Classical Greek Art
- The Impact of the Mayan Civilization on Ancient Art and Culture
- The Influence of Mayan Culture in Modern Architecture
- Egyptian Pyramids vs. Mayan Pyramids: Is There a Hidden Connection?
- Ancient Art History: The Origins and Purpose of Writing
- The Impact of Ancient Civilizations on Art History
- The Incas and Their Influence on Modern Art
- The Role of Religion and Culture in Aztec Art
- Ancient Chinese Art: The Role of Chinese Philosophy and Religion
- Chinese Ritual Bronzes: Understanding the Ancient Ritual Vessels
- Mythology in the Artworks of Ancient Civilizations
20 Engrossing Art Research Paper Topics on Artist Biography
Analyzing the life and work of a particular artist can help you understand them better and uncover the symbolism and hidden meanings in their work. Let’s go over some engaging art topics for research papers, covering some of the most influential artists in history.
- William Blake: A Misunderstood Artist, Poet, and Visionary
- Francisco de Goya: Changing the World Through Art
- Eugène Delacroix and the Rise of Modern Art
- Madame Tussaud and Her Lasting Impact on Art
- The Life and Career of William Turner
- Ludwig van Beethoven: The Mystic Principles in Romantic Art, Literature, and Music
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: The Life and Work of the Musical Genius
- Vincent Van Gogh: The Misunderstood Genius Ahead of His Time
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir: Innovative Elements and Principles of Art
- Gustav Klimt: The Master of Symbolism
- Claude Monet and His Vision of Light and Color
- Edgar Degas: A Storyteller of Modern Parisian Life
- Paul Cézanne: The Father of Modern Art
- Pablo Picasso: The Father of Cubism
- Frida Kahlo: Surrealism Through Magical Realism
- The Surreal World of Salvador Dalí
- Andy Warhol: The American Pop Art King
- Jackson Pollock: The Face of Abstract Expressionism
- Georgia O’Keeffe: The Mother of American Modernism
- Louise Bourgeois: A Revolutionary in Abstract Sculpture and Installation Art
21 Thought-Provoking Art Research Topics on Different Epochs
Every creative epoch brought something new to the art world. If you focus on a specific creative epoch in art history, you can explore a whole world of unique artistic and literary styles, techniques, themes, and all the influential artists that used them. Here are some of the epochs and related topics to choose from.
- The Movement, Color, and Sensuality of the Baroque Movement
- Baroque vs. Rococo: Similarities and Differences
- The Art of Manliness in the Baroque Period
- Romanticism in Art, Literature, and Music
- The Social Impact of Literary and Artistic Romanticism
- Imagination, Emotion, and the Sublime in the Romanticism Era
- How Impressionism Changed the Basic Ideas of Art
- Nature Through the Eyes of Monet and Manet
- The Social Impact of Edgar Degas and His Ballet Dancers
- French Impressionists: Revolutionizing the Art World
- The Vision and Diverse Styles of Post-Impressionism
- “The Starry Night” by Van Gogh: A Masterpiece of Post-Impressionism
- The Influence of Paul Gaugin on Modern Art
- Famous Artists That Defined the Post-Impressionist Movement
- The Revolutionary Role of Cubism in Modern Art
- The Meaning Behind “Guernica” by Pablo Picasso
- How African Art Influenced Pablo Picasso and His Work
- Multiple Perspectives in Georges Braque’s Paintings
- The Art of Capturing Imagination: Surrealism in Art and Literature
- When Surreal Minds Meet: Salvador Dalí and Rene Magritte
- The Symbolism and Metaphors in Frida Kahlo’s Paintings
10 Compelling Renaissance Essay Topics
Marking the transition from the Middle Ages to the modern world, the Renaissance was a period of cultural and artistic rebirth. If you’re looking for compelling art essay topics on this fervent era, here are some ideas for inspiration.
- Humanism and Naturalism in Renaissance Art
- Religious Symbolism in Renaissance Art
- Leonardo da Vinci and His Influence on Renaissance Art
- Michelangelo’s David: An Icon of the Italian Renaissance
- The Sistine Chapel: Michelangelo’s Immortal Masterpiece
- The Transcendent Influence of Raphael’s Paintings
- “The Birth of Venus” by Botticelli: Mythology and Realism
- The Influence of Science on Renaissance Art and Culture
- The Harlem Renaissance: Driving Social Change Through Art
- The Unity of Art and Music in the Renaissance Era
10 Riveting Modern Art Research Paper Topics
Modern art brings innovation in movements, forms, and styles, replacing conservative values in the spirit of experimenting with shapes, lines, and colors. Check out some of the most enticing topic ideas.
- Breaking Away from Conventions: The Unique Style of Modern Art
- Impressionism vs. Cubism: The Elements of Time and Light
- The Rise of Digital Arts
- Graffiti: Vandalism or Art?
- Urban Street Art: The Mystery of Banksy
- The Eclectic Style of “The Kiss” by Gustav Klimt
- The Influence of Modern European Art on American Artists
- The Impact on Japanese Art on Van Gogh’s Paintings
- Art and Feminism: Contemporary Themes Driving the Movement
- Printmaking in the 21st century
10 Fascinating Photography Topics Ideas
As a type of visual art, photography has the power to evoke emotions, change perspectives, and transform the viewer’s knowledge and perception of art. If you want to dig deeper into photography, here are some cool art essay topics to start with.
- The History of Photography
- Camera Obscura: The Ancestor of the Modern Photography
- The Significance and Social Impact of War Photography
- The Mystery of Vivian Maier and Her Secret Street Photography
- The Role of Ansel Adams on Establishing Photography Among the Fine Arts
- Architectural Photography in the Modern Age
- The Role of Photography in the Film Industry
- How Digital Technology Has Changed Photography
- Self-Portrait Photography: The Art of Selfies
- The Psychological Impact of Photography
15 Best Architecture Research Paper Topics
Architecture is an ever-evolving art form that shapes the world and allows for both practical and expressive designs. Check out some of the best art topics for research papers on architecture.
- The Influence of Roman Architecture on Modern Design
- Gothic Architecture: Key Elements of the Iconic Style
- Art Nouveau vs. Art Deco: A Comparison of the Modern Art Movements
- Rococo Architecture: The Characteristics of Late Baroque
- Constructivism in Art and Architecture
- Sustainability in African Architecture
- The Influence of Eastern Art on Western Architecture
- The Egyptian Pyramids: The Mystery Behind the Construction
- The Influence of Art and Literature on Design and Architecture
- The Marriage of Art and Architecture in Contemporary Design
- Urban Architecture: The Internet of Things and Smart City Design
- Architectural Wonders: Famous Architects and Their Masterpieces
- The Relationship Between Ancient and Modern Architecture
- Innovative Design Styles Shaping the Future of Architecture
- Islamic Architecture and Its Influence on Western Art
Top 10 Theater Research Paper Topics
Theater helps us see different perspectives, understand different cultures, and dig deeper into our humanity. Thanks to actors’ dramatic performances that make the characters come alive before our eyes, we can experience stories in an attention-grabbing way. Find inspiration for your story in the following topics.
- The History of Greek Theater
- The Influence of Ancient Greek Theater on Modern Theater
- Samuel Beckett and the Theater of the Absurd
- The Cultural Evolution of Theater
- Theater as Art: A Force for Social and Cultural Change
- William Shakespeare and His Contribution to English Drama and Theater
- Elizabethan Theater vs. Modern Theater
- The History of Broadway
- The Role of Music in Theater
- Improvisation and Expression in Contemporary Theater
10 Intriguing Art Research Topics on Different Cultures
Every culture is unique, being an ensemble of different social norms, values, beliefs, and material traits. As such, it influences unique art forms that represent people’s emotions, experiences, and worldviews. If you want to analyze how different cultures influence art, check out these interesting topics.
- The Role of Cultural Identity in the Creation of Art
- The Pop Art Movement and Its Influence on American Culture
- Hollywood vs. Bollywood: Similarities and Differences
- Japanese Calligraphy: The Fine Art of Writing
- Traditional Dance Forms: Understanding Different Cultures Through Dance
- The Influence of Chinese Traditional Clothing on Japanese Culture
- Ancient Egyptian Culture: Art Principles and Traditions
- Poetic Realism in the Iranian Cinema
- French vs. American Artists: Cultural Differences Impacting Their Work
- Asian and African Tribal Art and Their Effects on Modern Art Movements
Get Expert Art Research Assistance at EduBirdie
Here at EduBirdie, we have an extensive team of writers who hold PhD and Master’s degrees in Fine Arts and have years of professional experience. They can help you with research, recommend good art research paper topics, and help you write an impressive paper.
Our research paper writing services include free formatting, citations, editing, proofreading, quick results, punctuality, and 24/7 support. We use high-tech tools to double-check every piece of content for plagiarism and offer unlimited free revisions to ensure you’re satisfied with the quality.
Contact us today to place your order! Tell us more about your project, share all the necessary instructions, pick your writer, and get original, high-quality content at an affordable price!