Debates are contests of opposing ideas, in which people discuss topics from two opposing sides. Most debates aim at reaching an agreement rather than sending an opposing party into a knockout. Often, this is really challenging task, that’s why debates are frequently compared to sports. Indeed, at times convincing someone who holds an opposing view is like hitting a homerun. To become as good in this intellectual sport as Barry Bonds or Bay Ruth in home runs, you should learn some skills. Just too busy? Let the essay writers be your heroes.
Choosing good debate topics or deciding how to behave are common difficulties students experience during their preparations. Although you may find it challenging to prepare for this event, as well as participate in them, this is really fun academic activity that makes college experience more memorable. There are some tips on choosing the best controversial debate topics and becoming confident, passionate, unwavering debater. Need somebody to write my thesis for me? Call us now!
Actual Problem Solving with our list of debate topics!
Choosing Good Debatable Topic is Important
Good topics are prerequisites of interesting and meaningful debates, so students should choose debatable topics responsibly. No matter whether you are participating in high school class dialogue or in college or club discussion, choose topics that are matters of controversy. There are plenty of such topics, as even science suggests, there are several alternative responses to a single phenomenon.
If students have little preparation time, they should pick familiar topics that are neither too difficult nor too easy for their intellectual level. For instance, one should not choose patriotism effect on international relations or censorship justification when looking for middle school debate topics. Political topics may be too challenging for middle school kids. Mandatory school uniforms or fast food at school cafeteria are better debate questions for these students. Need any academic help? Our legal essay writing service is the best on the market. 100% guaranteed satisfaction.
Finally, when choosing topics, consider how excited you feel about them. Interesting topics will result in more passionate and memorable discussions. When topics are appealing enough, students end up participating in impromptu, forgetting about shyness or their fear of public speaking. Making your choice, remember that teens find those topics as particularly interesting that somehow reflect their own experiences.
In order to pick topics easier, our experts developed list of relevant controversial questions. They are divided into several categories, so you may pick topics that fit your preferences best. However, before proceeding with our list of debate topics, consider finding out how to behave during dialogue and beat your opponents.
Behaving During Debates
Class along with club debates often follow formal guidelines that are predetermined long before beginning. Your teacher will most likely notify you about rules you will address. Still, here are some recommendations you should follow while speaking:
- Maintain correct posture
Use hands and gestures while expressing thoughts. Mind that correct posture and natural gestures make speakers look confident.
- Speak loudly and clearly
Clearly presented argumentation suggests that students prepared well for discussion. Don’t use colloquial expressions, keeping your speech formal.
- Maintain eye contact
Don’t look at your teacher or somewhere into distance all the time. Instead, maintain eye contact with opponents. After all, debates are conversations. Also, this is another sign of confidence that students use effectively during discussion.
- Be calm
Don’t get nervous, even if you’ve forgotten something. Restate your main argument and start again.
- Concentrate on your idea
A statement, a dominant idea, is at the heart of every dialogue. Concentrate on your statement, don’t switch to ideas that make you or your opponents lose tracks of argumentation.
- Maintain order
Present your arguments in an orderly fashion, just as you planned during preparations. Either presenting arguments from weaker to stronger or vice versa, use good transitions.
- Listen “actively”
When your opponents present their ideas, listen to them and, if it is allowed, write down their major arguments. This will enable you to elaborate strong refutation. Active listening also suggests patience and respect to someone else’s turn to speak.
- Be polite
Avoid yelling, particularly for silencing opponents. Remember that debates are about others switch their view, which demands one to be respectful towards others.
Read also: 100 Evaluative Essay Topics + Bonus Tips for Choosing the Best One
Preparation Stage Before Debates
If you have time, use it wisely and research your debate topics. Do what you usually do when writing research papers. You should develop your major claim (a thesis statement) and supporting arguments with relevant evidence. Also, students should think about possible counter arguments and refutation to them. Ensure to cite your sources properly. Otherwise, your opponents will have opportunities for questioning data credibility. Develop strong introduction and conclusion and prepare a presentation you may use during discussion.
Writing an outline which contains, introduction, thesis statement, arguments, counter-arguments, refutations, and a conclusion may be very helpful in this respect. When you are done, ask friends about reviewing your argumentation and checking whether it is convincing enough. If you still have doubts or if your friends can’t help, EduBirdie writers are always here to assist you. Use website that corrects essays to ensure strongest argumentation and best outcomes. Mind that EduBirdie can either check your essay or write it from scratch: just provide your debate topics and receive everything you need, including outlines, properly researched and cited arguments, and presentations.
Read also: 25 Illustration Essay Topics for Students
List of 120 Debate Topics Divided into Categories
If you have your own idea and need it worded in a laconic manner, feel free to use our title generator for essays. This tool, which is completely free, creates topics using your keywords. Otherwise, use this list of debate topics and pick those items that best fit your requirements.
Debate Topics for High School
- The Problem Of High School Shooting
- The High School Community
- Teachers’ Perceptions Of M-Learning In High School
- What High School Health Classes Are Lacking
- Athletes Academic Support Programs For High School
- The Importance Of Foreign Language In High School
- The Significance Of High School Sports
- Impact of Depression on a Teenager’s High School Education
- Effects of Public Speaking Anxiety among Senior High School
- High School: The Influences of Facebook to the Youth
Topics Related with Education
- Do Schools Kill Creativity Essay
- Essay on Qualities of a Good Teacher
- New Paradigms in Study of Art
- Impact of Dyslexia on Learning
- Pros and Cons of College Attendance Policy
- Sex Education and Its Importance on Youth
- Role of Liberal Arts in Higher Education
- How Important Is College
- Standardized Testing Argumentative
- Online Learning vs Classroom Learning
Social Debate Topics
- Reasons Why Abortion Should not Be Legal
- Racial Discrimination in the Workplace
- Police Brutality and Racism
- Negative Effects of Immigration
- Importance of Values of Autonomy and Dignity for Human Rights
- Feminism Hell and Hillary Clinton
- Do Violent Video Games Cause Behavior Problems
- Workforce in Planned Parenthood
- Steps to Assisted Suicide
- Sexual Education and Planned Parenthood
Environment and Environmental Issues
- Influence of Traffic Congestion on Environment
- Green Architecture
- Efficiency of Hand Washing in Hot and Cold Water
- Renewable Energy
- We Should Reduce Food Waste in the US and Around the World
- Tourism and the Environment
- Impact of Climate Change on the Indian Economy
- Harmfulness of Free Trade for the Environment
- Effect of Climate Change on Polar Bears
- Food Waste: The Dumbest Environmental Problem
Political Debate Topics
- Pros and Cons of Voting Rights Act
- Pros and Cons of European Union
- Law Reform and Development Commission
- Leadership Of Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin
- Importance of Values of Autonomy and Dignity for Human Rights
- How Did the War Influence American Domestic Policy
- Foreign Aid and Development
- Does Voting Matter: Essay
- Disadvantages of Foreign Aid
- Democratic Party vs Whig Party
Debate Topics Related with Parenting
- Issues Of Single Parenting
- The Aspects Of Parental Responsibility
- The Effects Of Good Parenting
- The Effects Of Same Sex Parenting On Child
- The Impact And Consequences Of Authoritative Parenting
- Grief: Impact On Mental Health After Death Of A Parent During Childhood
- Marriage, Parenting And Divorce In Early Adulthood
- Parental Perception On Fathers’ Role In Child Rearing To Ensure Children’s Development And Well-being
- The Parenting Crisis In America
- Positive Parenting & Child Care Parenting
- Does Technology Limit Creativity
- Computer Ethics and Ethical Hacking
- Advantages of Digital Photography
- Why Technology Is Bad
- IPhone Essay
- Impact of Internet on Society
- How Technology Affects Our Lives
- How Has Technology Changed the World
- Impact of Computer Application in Industrial and Engineering Field
- Reflections on How the Google Search Engine Affects Intelligence
- Principles of Medical Paternalism and Patient Autonomy
- Is Healthcare a Right or a Privilege
- Impact of Professional Autonomy on Patients
- Utilitarian Argument against the Deceptive Doctor: Issues of Autonomy
- Street-based Prostitution and Public Health Concerns
- Spread of COVID - 19 and Hand Washing
- Role of Hand Washing in Health Care Facilities
- Universal Health Care in the World
- Issues of Universal Health Care in America
- Debates over Obamacare
Debate Topics Related with Leisure
- Harmonizing Employee Vacation Benefits
- Reading Books And Watching Televisions
- How Technology has Changed Our Lives
- Language Of The New Social Media
- The Peculiarities Of LGBT Tourism
- Public, Private And Non-profit Sectors Of Leisure And Recreation Facilities
- Pros and Cons of Video Games.
- Work-Life Balance Benefits And Challenges
- Globalization: The Process Of Uniting People Of The World
- What Does Your Hobby Say About Your Personality?
Debating on Financial and Policy Matters
- Acquisition of Money and Possessions
- Difference between Retirement and Pension
- Relationship between Economic Growth with Sustainable Development and Stock Markets
- Analysis of Credit Creation Limitations
- Cryptocurrency: Arguments in Its Favor and Increased Media Attention to It
- Reflections on Whether There Should Be a Mandatory Retirement Age
- Digital Currency and Its Impact on Monetary Policy
- The Financial Crisis: An Essay on Its Causes and Consequences
- Education and Employment: An Essay on the Relationship Between Education Demand and Employment Supply
- Do Rich People and Celebrities Deserve the Money They Earn?
Debating on Historical Matters
- Opinion Essay on Importance of NATO in 21st Century
- Frameworks of Art History of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries: Analytical Overview
- Causes of the American Revolution
- Idea of the Industrial Revolution in Hard Times: Critical Analysis
- General Overview of the Battle of Thermopylae
- Analysis of Cassius and Mark Antony, Julius Caesar and Brutus
- Essay on Hard Times: An Oral History of The Great Depression
- What Were Underlying Causes of World War 1
- Reasons Why Atomic Bomb Was Necessary
- Why Should We Learn about the Holocaust
Controversial Topics for Fun Debates
- Women And Men Should Be Equal In Sport
- Wife As A Typical Gender Role
- Communication between sexes: do men and women have different approaches?
- Choosing the best pizza topping: healthy versus tasty.
- Do fairy tales affect children’s reality perception?
- Is living together before marriage appropriate nowadays?
- Should teenage students get after-school jobs?
- Teenagers explain their deviant behaviors referring to peer pressure as major reason.
- Gender and life expectancy: what factors explain gaps all over the world?
- From historical perspective, are women smarter than men?
EduBirdie Will Make Your Participation in Debates Victorious
Participation in any discussion is fun, as well as stressful activity. Students’ experiences significantly depend on their choices: Which debate topics should they discuss? How should they prepare for them? How should they behave during debates? How strong are their arguments with respect to those of competitors? Aiming at helping students prepare for their debates, we tried to share our experience while responding to these questions. We prepared controversial debate topics, but there are extra benefits you may gain upon asking EduBirdie writers for assistance. There is no need to spend time brainstorming and evaluating arguments. Instead, place an order and receive ready-made argumentation prepared by professional writer of your choice.