“Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose.” Bill Gates.
Bill Gates is a technologist, business leader, and philanthropist. He was born in (Seattle, 1955) and grew up there with his supportive family who encouraged his interest in computers at an early age. He has two sisters. His dad, William H, is one of the co-chairs of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. His mother, Mary Gates, was a schoolteacher, chairwoman of United Way International. His wife’s name is Melinda French and they have three children. Gates dropped out of college in 1975 to pursue his business, Microsoft, with his friend and partner Paul Allen. This was his first step to success, later, he became a billionaire. Since then, Gates has been one of the top 400 wealthiest people in America. (‘Bill Gates’, 2019).
‘Bill was a voracious reader as a child, spending many hours poring over reference books such as the encyclopedia. Around the age of 11 or 12, Bill’s parents began to have concerns about his behavior. He was doing well in school, but he seemed bored and withdrawn at times, and his parents worried he might become a loner. Though they were strong believers in public education, when Bill turned 13, they enrolled him at Seattle’s exclusive preparatory Lakeside School.
He blossomed in nearly all his subjects, excelling in math and science, but also doing very well in drama and English’. (‘Bill Gates’, 2019) Whenever we hear the name of Bill Gates It first comes to our minds the technology and computers. He created the largest computer and technology business in the world, ‘Microsoft’. Gates and his company have created both computers and software that has transformed everything in America and the world. Although, in early days, companies don’t think that it would change both America and the world from that point on. What is more interesting is that the company continues to grow and transform the ways in which Americans live out their lives. Most importantly, Gates makes people comfortable with his software by making it operate easier and more enjoyable. (‘Bill Gates Essay’).
“No matter how much money you have, you can’t buy time.” Said by Gates. Although, Bill Gates was a rich figure, he appreciates the value of time and work. He is not like other rich people who depend on their wealth to live. He depends on his thoughts, his love to work, and his love to be a creative person to gain both many and knowledge. Unwisely spend of time can never be gotten back. Therefore, we should make it our utmost goal to enjoy the time we have by spending it on tasks or people that matters most to us.
There are some very interesting things inspired me about Bill Gates. First of all, I think Bill Gates is a courageous man. He showed courage when he continues his work even though when he had many obstacles in his way. These hellacious circumstances, disappointments and mistakes mixed with failure didn’t discourage him. “It’s fine to celebrate success, but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure.” (Lebarty, 2017). This is one of his says about failure. He teaches us that failure is not the end of the world. We all can reach our goals like he did if we believed in ourselves.
In 2010, Bill and his wife Melinda pledged $10 billion over the next 10 years to help research, develop, and deliver vaccines for the world’s poorest countries. They established a charitable foundation that has grown to be among the largest of its kind. In addition to the foundation’s work, Bill has separately taken on some projects to address issues that interest him personally, such as delivering clean energy to everyone who needs it. In all his works he’s focused on what he calls ‘catalytic philanthropy’: investments in innovations that will improve life for the poorest.[footnoteRef:1] His humility and kindness make him a lovable person. [1: Bio. Retrieved from https://www.gatesnotes.com/Bio]
Gates is a good and positive role model because he devoted his time and his money to the poor people and to the charities. He has donated more than $ 40 billion in his lifetime. In the mid-1990s, he has had a charity with his wife, Melinda Gates, whose goal is to eradicate disease, poverty and ignorance in the world, especially in the poorest regions of the world. Since 2008, he resigned from his job at Microsoft and make himself completely free to travel to the poorest regions of the world to establish his charity. Here are some of the achievements he has succeeded in:
- Eliminating poliomyelitis in the world in 2012 (after 20 years of combat and perseverance!)
- Create a machine to turn human waste into very clear drinking water. The invention is called ‘Omni Processor ‘ it aims to supply 783 million people in the world with clean water.
- Billions of dollars have been spent on strengthening education and setting up schools in the world’s poorest countries.
- Producing a vaccine against malaria and this disease was completely disappeared from four countries.
- Complete elimination of black fever (the second largest killer parasite after malaria).
- Establish very strong campaigns to raise awareness of the harmful effects of smoking, particularly on poor areas, where they have not heard about the damage and do not know how to deal with it. and establish health institutions to deal with these extremely damaging effects.
Bill Gates’ achievements are a lot and to mention some of them, first of all, he Inspired the era of the home computer, commercializing the operating system, launching Windows 95, and becoming one of the richest men in the world. (Evans, 2008). Surely, he received a lot of rewards such as:
- National Medal of Technology and Innovation (1992).
- Distinguished Fellow of the British Computer Society (DFBCS). (1994)
- Satellite Special Achievement Award for Outstanding Contribution to Entertainment New Media (1997).
- Lasker-Bloomberg Public Service Award (2013).
- Distinguished Fellow of the British Computer Society (2013).
To conclude, Bill Gates’s achievements are countless and cannot be confined to this report. We need a lot of people like him to make this world full of goods, peace, modesty, and wisdom. His impact on the world in general and in the poor people in specific is unforgettable.
- Bill Gates. (2019, January 17). Retrieved from https://www.biography.com/people/bill-gates-9307520
- Bill Gates Essay. Retrieved from https://www.bartleby.com/essay/Bill-Gates-PK3FTEYVJ
- Bio. Retrieved from https://www.gatesnotes.com/Bio
- Evans, D. (2008, June 26). In focus: Bill Gates’ five greatest achievements. Retrieved from https://www.techradar.com/news/computing/in-focus-bill-gates-five-greatest-achievements-409392
- Lebarty, A. (2017, November 09). 5 Inspiring Lessons from Bill Gates That Will Change Your Life. Retrieved from https://www.geeflix.com/inspiring-bill-gates-lessons-life/