The ritual I have chosen to this report is wedding. I chose this ritual because it is very important in everyone’s life and it is very different between the wedding in Chinese culture and the wedding in Australian culture (the Christian wedding).
The purpose of this paper is to analyze the nature of the Chinese wedding ceremony and the Christian wedding ceremony. An evaluation of processes, participants, symbols and location of the ritual will be given. An examination of the community spirituality connected to the ritual will be addressed.
In the Chinese accent wedding, there are many participants, mainly the husband, wife and their parents. The list of all the participant includes: bridegroom, bride, bridegroom’s relatives, bride’s relatives, matchmaker, best man and bridesmaid. While the participants in the Christian marriage are as follows: maid of honor, bridesmaids, groomsmen, ushers, bride’s parents, groom’s parent, grandparents, officiant, flower girl, ring bearer, reader, and best man/ best woman/ groom’s honor attendant.
Save your time!
We can take care of your essay
- Proper editing and formatting
- Free revision, title page, and bibliography
- Flexible prices and money-back guarantee
The modern Chinese wedding ceremony often takes place in a city hall office presided over by a government official. For some rich families, they usually have their own memorial hall from their ancestors. Unlike the Chinese wedding, Christians believe that marriage is a gift from God and it always set in a church. The church gives a special atmosphere for the groom and bride to engage in sexual relations and to build a family life. It is very important that the Christian marriage conduct in a church, in front of God.
- The red envelope. Every participant in the wedding will prepare a red envelope for the two lovers. It is cover in the color red which symbolizes good luck and it is also a symbol to ward off evil spirits. Other objects in Chinese wedding are also cover in red.
- Dragon and phoenix. The symbol of dragon symbolizes male and the phoenix symbolizes female. The dragon and phoenix symbolize the everlasting love.
- White wedding dress. The Christian bride’s wedding dress is usually white, as this symbolizes purity. The color white is the symbol of the bride’s cleanliness in heart and life, and also a mark of reverence to the God.
In Chinese culture, marriage is not determined by the young couple anymore, but the decision of the marriage is mainly depended on their parents. But in Australian or other western country, the young couple can make their own choice, have more freedom than the couple in China.
In short, different countries have their own unique culture for wedding. In the Chinese wedding, everything is cover in red which mean good luck, unlike the Chinese wedding, the Christian wedding is cover in white and it is mainly focus on region, on the connection to the God.