Conflict is able to exist between groups or factions within group, with a leader or perhaps manager, and along with other teams or even departments inside the business. It’s been identified in numerously various ways and has come to keep various concepts.
According to Madalina (2015), Conflict refers to several kinds of odds, disagreement, or maybe discord arising in between people and within a group once the beliefs or maybe behavior of a single or maybe more people of the team are often resisted by and unacceptable to more than one member of another team. Conflict relates to the opposing actions and ideas of various entities, thus resulting in an antagonistic express.
A similar point has been presented by Kolb (2013), Conflict happens in teams and groups. Conflict may result in well considered decisions which have considered into consideration a number of opinions and options. Or perhaps, it might have more frustrating implications. The extent to which struggle has a negative or positive impact on group functioning is dependent on the way and conflict type where conflict is handled.
Types of Conflict in Groups and Teams:
Type of Conflict classified into four types. Interpersonal Conflict, Intrapersonal Conflict, Intergroup Conflict, Intragroup Conflict.
Interpersonal conflict is conflict that occurs between two or maybe more individuals that come together in teams or groups. This’s a conflict which occurs between two or more individuals. Lots of specific differences result in interpersonal conflict, perceptions, values, attitudes, culture, including personalities, and additional differences. (Zare and Beheshtifar,2011)
In the other word, interpersonal occurs typically as a result of how individuals are completely different from each other. (Madalina,2015)
However, According to Zare and Beheshtifar (2011). Reasons for Interpersonal Conflict:
- Ego Conflict: losing the argument would damage the person’s sense of self-esteem.
- Personality Conflict: Some individuals have difficulties in getting along with one another. This is purely.
happens within an individual. The experience happens in the person’s brain. Thus, it is a kind of conflict which is psychological affecting the individual’s feelings, emotions, principles and values. (Madalina, 2015)
Intergroup conflicts aren’t often because of personal reasons; they frequently stem from disagreements over just how groups perform the requests or work activities they generate to various other teams. It may actually be a consequence of competitiveness. Sometimes, specific people in the team initiated the conflict, along with other staff just follow suit. (Madalina, 2015)
Intragroup conflict is a kind of conflict that occurs among individuals within a group. The incompatibilities plus confusions among these individuals lead to an intragroup conflict. (Madalina, 2015)
However, According to Curşeu (2011), In jobs that are many, workers depend heavily on each other to accomplish projects and tasks. Decreased amounts of conflict are common as well as healthy: they stem from innovative stress and also allow individuals to achieve new, good results by surmounting weaknesses. But more extreme conflicts seriously reduce morale and productivity. There are two main types of intragroup conflict: Task conflict and Relationship conflict.
1. Task Conflict:
Mohd, Omar and Asri (2016) highlighted that probably the most favorable kind of conflict is task conflict in comparison to relationship conflict. Task conflict typically happens when various thoughts, viewpoints, decisions and offered improvements occur. In case task conflict is at a reasonable level, it’s deemed to be beneficial as it promotes creativity, competition that is healthy among workers which leads to a much better outcome. The better outcome is possible as different perspective of workers will cause discussions. As team members get to talk about as well as present their opinions and views, that provides the workers with all the satisfaction as well as fulfilment experience when working in group. This encourages group members’ self-esteem, appreciation as well as work satisfaction. Thus, task conflict typically includes constructive discussion in that leads to better decision-making as well as work outcomes. Disagreements about the job which focus entirely on content related problems are able to enhance team effectiveness and efficiency.
2. Relationship Conflict:
Relationship conflict is deemed to be harmful thinking about the volatility as well as counterproductive the harmony of nature which provide a destructive effect on the group or maybe workers. Relationship conflict highlights the negative emotions as well as interpersonal relationships among workers which aren’t associated to the task. This particular kind of conflict leads to delayed plans and terrible task outcomes. Relationship conflicts cause different personalities, and attitudes perceptions among group members. This’s among the contributors of workforce variety which apply problems to the managing. Additionally, relationship conflict not just increases anxiety and stress levels of team members, additionally, it limits group members’ decision-making abilities. (Mohd, Omar and Asri, 2016) and (Kolb, 2013)
Resolving Conflict Types:
Management specialists have proposed a few methods of working with the procedure of conflict management. To explain the modalities of engagement in conflict we are able to suggest Blake as well as Mouton’s grid. The two authors establish the usual reactions of people in managing organizational conflicts. Figure one illustrates the behaviors provided by the two authors, actions which form, in reality, the managers decision regarding how to address and handle conflicts, specifically the avoidance struggle, adaptation, compromise or collaboration. (Madalina, 2015)
Blake and Mouton’s grid
- Competing or Fighting Style: Competing or Fighting style of conflict resolution management design according to a significant level of assertiveness and a really low level of cooperation. It’s suggested the management of conflicts by competing, is to be used in scenarios requiring immediate action when needed to follow unpopular measures. In developing such techniques of conflict management, it is needed for the manager to have abilities, such as: debate and argumentation, exploitation of position or rank, proper evaluation of feelings or options, keeping calm and specific expression of the position. (Madalina, 2015)
- Avoidance Style: Avoiding style of conflict resolution management design according to assertiveness is characterized by both a low and a high degree of cooperation. In many cases, individuals seem to stay away from conflict for fear of engaging in a tense scenario or perhaps since they lack enough confidence in their capability to handle problems. This particular technique for conflict management is suitable when we are dealing with small conflict conditions in order to decrease tensions or even attain time, or perhaps if the person in the situation to handle the conflict is within an inferior position in conditions of hierarchy. Avoiding conflicts needs the ability to withdraw, the capability to avoid tensions and also the feeling of preparing in terms of time. (Madalina, 2015)
- Adaptation Style: Adaptation style of conflict resolution management design involves low assertiveness and a high availability for cooperation. It’s proposed establishing plans for dealing with conflicts by adapting when needed the expression of reasonable attitudes, effectiveness development, keeping a state of great understanding and peace. (Madalina, 2015)
- Compromise Style: Compromise style of conflict resolution management design involves a moderate level of assertiveness and cooperation. Many people determine compromise as the ‘disposal of more than they are willing’, while others think that each side benefit. How you can manage conflict by accepting a compromise; it’s suitable in case important issues are on the line, moderate when people in the conflict have a comparable hierarchical level or even where there’s a strong motivation to solve the problem. The compromise may also be employed as a temporary solution, when there are time constraints. Abilities necessary for conflict management are used by the negotiated compromise which the art of searching for the middle way will be the skill to assess situations and also to make concessions. (Madalina, 2015)
- Collaboration Style: Collaboration Style of conflict resolution management design characterized by high levels of assertiveness and Cooperation. Collaboration can be described as the joining of concepts to be able to get the perfect solutions of a conflict. The ideal solution might be described as a creative resolution of the conflict, a solution that’s not produced by an individual person. (Madalina, 2015)
Conflict could come up in any kind of organization in which two or maybe more parties (individuals or maybe groups) hold differing viewpoints. Even though the existence of conflict is not really an issue in and of itself, dismissing the conflict is an issue. The imbalance caused by conflict leads to eventual changes, in case it’s managed properly. A new sense of balance generally happens following a crisis. Conflict might be handled in a different way based on its type and causes. There’s always at least one of the ways of managing it.
- Mohd, I. H., Omar, K. M., Asri., T. N. T., (2016). Organizational Conflicts: The Effects on Team Effectiveness in a Malaysian Statutory Body.
- Madalina, O., (2015). Conflict Management, a new challenge. Procedia Economics and Finance 39: 807-814
- Beheshtifar, M., Zare, E., (2013). Interpersonal Conflict: A Substantial Factor to Organizational Failure. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Science, Vol. 3, No. 5
- Curseu, L., P., (2011). Intra-Group Conflict and Teamwork Quality: The Moderating Role of Leadership Styles. Administrative Science Journal, 1, 3-13.
- Behfar, J., K., Mannix, A. E., Peterson, S., R., Trochim, M., W., (2011). Conflict in Small Groups: The Meaning and Consequences of Process Conflict. Small Group Research, 42, 2.
- Kolb, A., J., (2013). Conflict management principles for groups and teams. The Academy of Human Resources Department, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 79-86.