“422 friends, yet I am lonely “. Social media has become an important part of daily life. So everyone who uses Facebook should know its advantages and disadvantages. Facebook has been invented in 2004 by “Mark Zuckerberg” and spread a lot. Facebook has become the most used social network in the world. Nowadays there are about 500 million persons use Facebook; It is used most by the youth aged between 18 to 25 years old, (Zuckerberg (2010)). Users of youth spend about 50 minutes of their day using Facebook on average, (Inside Facebook (2010)). A group of people thinks that Facebook has spread a lot and made some users introvert. They say there are a lot of activities to do out of the Facebook’s world. On the other hand, there is a group of people who believes that Facebook plays a big role in their lives and benefits a lot at least in communication. Facebook has an effective role in our society; as it provides easy communication, helps socializing and business.
The invention of Facebook has greatly improved the way people communicate with each other. Some people think that Facebook harms communication. Sending messages instead of meeting face to face weakens the communication between people. However, this is not true; Facebook makes people in different cities or countries communicate easily. Friends and families anywhere can communicate in a very easy way even if they are separated by borders and they can’t meet in person. People also can access Facebook from mobiles and this option is very useful for many users as there are about 1.74 billion mobile active users on Facebook, (Facebook(2020)). So there are many people prefer using Facebook as it has shortened long distances a lot. In the last year, social media users increased by 9.2%reaching 3.8 billion users in 2020, (Facebook(2020)).
Facebook has a great effect on socializing. Some people assert that using Facebook too much makes one depressed and introvert. Social media is a virtual life for people nowadays. So they think it would affect how people act with each other in reality. However, there is a growing body of evidence to the contrary. There are about 1.66 billion people use Facebook every day and interact actively (Facebook(2020)). Facebook’s goal was to help people build a community and make the world closer to each other. Users can interact actively in any group in addition to sharing their points of view and express their thoughts. they would be able to make friends with who share the same mind and thoughts. This would be helpful for introverts; they could make a lot of friends and meet them in person far from the social media world. “Users report using online social networks for relaxation, entertainment and socializing “(Ku et al., 2013; Park et al., 2009).
Nowadays Facebook is considered as a powerful platform for business and marketing. Some people believe that Facebook or social media, in general, don’t affect businesses as businesses have been done before the existence of Facebook. They think people can use telephones instead. Yet it is not true; Facebook has made marketing much easier. Facebook is very important to many users so if marketers use Facebook well it will help them a lot in their work. About 16 million business pages have been created until 2013 which considered as a big increase in this field, (Facebook(2013)). Furthermore, Local businesses have benefited a lot from Facebook for example in marketing in certain regions. About 42% of marketers say that Facebook is very necessary in their business, ( State of inbound marketing(2012)). A worldwide market is available via Facebook there are about 2.5 billion active users on Facebook, ( Facebook (2020)). This establishes Facebook as the largest network so marketers should make the best use of it.
In conclusion, Facebook became a part of everyone’s life; as it is very useful in communication, socializing and many businesses. What users like most about Facebook is that it helps to connect them with friends and relatives. It is a good place for social people and introverts to make friends.“Users report using online social networks for relaxation, entertainment and socializing “(Ku et al., 2013; Park et al., 2009). Besides, it is a creative way of marketing. Users can chat with anyone and make friends all over the world. This would be useful to share information, ideas, and experiences. There is a statistic that says that every 60 seconds there are 510,000 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated and 136,000 photos are uploaded (The social skinny(2019)). Thus, with this huge number of users, every marketing and product would have its audience.
- Zuckerberg M. (2010) 500 million stories. The Facebook blog. http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post¼409753352130 (accessed July 25, 2010).
- Inside Facebook. (2010) December data on Facebook’s US growth by age and gender: Beyond 100 million. www .insidefacebook.com/2010/01/04/december-data-on-Facebook%E2%80%99s-us-growth-by-age-and-gender-beyond100-million/ (accessed June 1, 2010).
- Park, N., Kee, K. F., and Valenzuela, S. (2009). Being immersed in social networking environment: Facebook groups, uses and gratifications, and social outcomes. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 12(6), 729-733.
- Nabi, R. L., Prestin, A., and So, J. (2013). Facebook friends with (health) benefits? Exploring social network site use and perceptions of social support, stress, and well-being. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 16(10), 721-727.
- McEwan, B. (2013). Sharing, caring and surveilling: An actor–partner interdependence model examination of Facebook relational maintenance strategies. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 16(12), 863-869.
- Ku, Y. C., Chu, T. H., and Tseng, C. H. (2013). Gratifications for using CMC technologies: A comparison among SNS, IM, and e-mail. Computers in Human Behavior, 29(1), 226-234.
- Ellison, N. B., Steinfield, C., and Lampe, C. (2007). The benefits of Facebook “friends:” Social capital and college students’ use of online social network sites. Journal of Computer -‐‑ Mediated Communication, 12 (4), 1143-1168. (2011).