Main reason as to why education was created in Northern America is to categorize, arrange students in a working order based on their different potentials. This approach excluded never incorporated the idea of biasness. That is treating the marginalized groups like the poor, both blacks and whites being given equal platforms as far as education are concerned. But what has been continually observed in education sector? Several complaints of discrimination based on complexion of individual. According to Peter Lang, 2007 “education in America through eugenicists ideology has resulted to continue praising of white race.” Previous century all the way to current one, has shown many instances where lack of equality on who accesses and controls learning resources, facilities. Conscious understanding of of inclusion has been a challenge. Whites are seen to be powerful while blacks on the other hand holding the inferior qualities. Inability to embrace diverse cultures as far as curriculum is concerned is still a challenge.
Subjection to various forms exploitation based on one’s cultural experiences, gender, sexuality and mostly race is result of disunity, opposing politics among others. In what way should racism issue be addressed when those who are assigned in ensuring such do not occur, actively engage in the act itself? All levels of education in Northern America continually face racial impending abrupt change. (Anderson, 2002) gives the main reason behind this being; first higher institution in the nation i.e. Harvard university, 1636 when it was initially formed, it had specific criteria in enrollment. American Indian as well as Africans were viewed and categorized differently. The whites were held as the developers’ greatest forms of human intelligence and improvers of the leading types of civilizations. This perception has been passed over to different generations.
Following generally accepted principles for anti-racism, “Opposition to racism has demonstrated inability to be on toes with development of easing racism and lack on involving educational policies that work under veneer of professed tolerance including diversity,” (Gillborn, 2006). Such attempts normally have inadequate or no precise procedures laid down that can work to ensure this major challenge is addressed. Social oppression has been continually supported through activities such as studying i.e. when learners create certain mentality that automatically fails to acknowledge physical and non –physical differences in themselves and of their colleagues.
In as much as teachers, trainers at different levels are doing great job in their area of expertise, they have faces success and failures at the same time. Curriculum and the rules guiding the school conduct do not necessarily back up teachers efforts in delivering curriculum equally to the challenged students, the marginalized groups who are at disadvantaged positions. The system is blinded by only focusing on institutions’ achievements that is the quality educational services it provides. Such beneficial intentions continue to be unsuccessful to these marginalized, disadvantaged students. Issues facing these minorities’ students who usually fall in exclusion zone, should be addressed based on such experiences. Opposing racism educational systems are never in place and if they are there they never perform in effective way due to political opposition for instance.
Diverse nature of North America as a nation, using Canada as an illustration, community engagement is very important in line with existing diverse cultural practices. Schools have never been on toes to comply with nation’s complexion and ethnic composition for instance, Toronto District School Board demographics were inspected carefully some drawbacks based on linguistics resulted into the following;
- 76% of high school students claimed English was their first language while the remaining percentage held that they had alternative first languages other than English
- A lot of students held their had tradition root from not less than 150 counties while approximately less than 15 percent confirmed to have lived in Canada for instance. More than two years.
Social change through singular response
When doing activities together with strangers in political, economic and economic spheres, it enables building teams that can be responsible in ensuring positive politics in schools are achieved. Something that has constantly been lagging behind as result of misleads perception on race. Embracing methodologies being used to address power relations in such area is very important. Those responsible in empowering about opposing racism should ever be cautious intellectual and political control. Advocating and insisting on unity can be a path way for greater social change. Discussions on racism should be encouraged despite the fact that it often results into causing emotions strongly. Teachers are never on the frontline in ensuring b these topics are discussed and related to real; life. Different first experiences from various participants can help giving solution to those who are newly subjected to such kinds of exploitations.
Multicultural training and opposing racism education
Insufficiency of multicultural education is continually not addressing the challenges minority and the disadvantaged groups are facing as far as racism is concerned. According to (Kehoe, 1994), “multicultural training exhibit proof that it has capabilities of interfering with natural steps of cultural adaptation to the environment.” By the way this type excludes institutional starting point of domination and discrimination. This form of education emphasizes on equivalency in achievement, intergroup disposition of mind, and growing of pride rooted from heritage. All these are important though to address racism, English as a subject can be taught as third or even second language instead of giving it first priorities in school
Curriculum which is biased discriminating should be done away with completely and alternative ones developed with immediate effect. When educating students, it would be important to take into consideration their different cultural backgrounds that each and every one of them. Does northern curriculum even abide by this principle? There is no any circumstance where students’ community has been motivated to take part in such. Ways of handling and responding to racist occurrence is still a challenge. instead of coming up with factors to deal with this, students end up making fun out of it-directing to their targeted colleagues. Trainers looking forward to their students have impact on achievement.
Considering specific cognitive suitableness like matching differences in various situations where people are in. this involves forming opinions on people on basis of inward instead of outward capabilities and acknowledges the different way people live. This simply means they one person might be carrying his /her activities should be undermined or seen as inferior. (Kehoe, 1994), “being empathetic can help in multicultural education.” apart from the mentioned, teachers should frequently ensure these skills are put into application. These are critical and creative thinking associated with handling mistreats directed to one based on their complexion for instance including fallacious claims and arguments.
Education on opposing racism
Making changes in institutions that will ensure no ignoring of problem related to racial differences without leaving behind discrimination in regard to racism, through
- i. Having a deep look into the historical primary source of origin and coexisting embodiment of racial adverse judgments including mistreating observed in Canada.
- ii. Investigating the catalyst of race, norms on individual’s professional and personal dispositions in line with their conduct. This helps in establishing classification based on biasness and prejudices of learning facilities in schools. Adding weight on this. Variety of academic material use blacks and whites in varying ways to give examples. Blacks are often portrayed engaging in illegal activities such robbery or even drug trafficking. The one sentencing them while in law courts are always brought out as whites. Such illustrations from learning materials greatly show and promote feelings of inferiority among certain marginalized group, leaving them vulnerable for exploitation.
- iii. Misunderstandings that may develop tensions further leading to conflicts should always be observed. Institution can assure this by creating departments whose sole role is to monitor and punish this kind of behaviors.
- iv. Coming up with alternative methods of educating students, in way that it will cater for their different learning styles and abilities. The best way of doing this is via identifying part of the curriculum which is usually hidden, making it more inclusive in a way that student’s potentials and capabilities are catered for.
- v. Policies of all institutions should be equality based. It should give equal platforms to its students to address the issues they have with them. If those that are not institution related should be listen to. Where guidance and counseling might be necessary, hesitations should never be made. This is due to psychological problems that usually result from being subjected into such racism exploitations. Anxieties and stress among others.
Anti-racist education is based on the above listed recommendations. Mostly focusing on psychological well-being of individual ensuring protection culture bullying.
Prejudice in community can be traced back to have the main cause inequality in all spheres of life , political ,economic and even social, (McGregor, 1993).the purpose of such education, therefore is to create a stable independent learning institution whose side role will be addressing equality in line wit diverse cultures, unbalanced social status of different individuals. Since every opportunity in society is always distributed to its members in a discriminatory manner, it is because they constantly keep in check the potential and ability of each individual in such society focusing on certain features like skin-color and much more.
Such perceptions promote the faith of racism being common, in other word appearing to be natural yet unwelcomed. The realities that comes with experiencing acts of racism in any sphere, leave alone education, is always unbearable, anger-driving and end results can be engaging in fights for instance.to readdress this while reviewing and making change in curriculum, learners can avoid exploiting behaviors if they solely focus on the following, this does not exclude at large. Each and every one play an important role;
- Reflecting and actively engaging in talks of previous and current experiences of any kind of prejudice, discrimination at home, school, church and any place involving socialization
- Carrying out research to discover the origins of such back. Tracing back to the tine and identifying some of the leading causes, what has been promoting such and how has been passed from one generation to another.
- Checking on the control relations whether they are balanced or not.by being aware of the realities of racism it can prepare you for the impacts of the same. Giving part the imbalanced social realities can help in regulating and minimizing such discrimination.
In conclusion, considering specific cognitive suitableness like matching differences in various situations where people are in. this involves forming opinions on people on basis of inward instead of outward capabilities and acknowledges the different way people live. Main reason as to why education was created in Northern America is to categorize, arrange students in a working order based on their different potentials. This approach excluded never incorporated the idea of biasness. In as much as teachers, trainers at different levels are doing great job in their area of expertise, they have faces success and failures at the same time. Curriculum and the rules guiding the school conduct do not necessarily back up teachers efforts in delivering curriculum equally to the challenged students, the marginalized groups who are at disadvantaged positions. The system is blinded by only focusing on institutions’ achievements that is the quality educational services it provides. Such beneficial intentions continue to be unsuccessful to these marginalized, disadvantaged students. Issues facing these minorities’ students who usually fall in exclusion zone should be addressed based on such experiences.
Subjection to various forms exploitation based on one’s cultural experiences, gender, sexuality and mostly race is result of disunity, opposing politics.
- Kehoe, J. W. (1994). Multicultural education vs. anti-racist education: The debate in Canada. Social Education, 58, 354-354.
- Anderson, J. D. (2002). Race in American higher education. The racial crisis in American higher education: continuing challenges for the twenty-first century, 3-22.
- Gillborn, D. (2006). Critical race theory and education: Racism and anti-racism educational theory and praxis. Discourse: studies in the cultural politics of education, 27(1), 11-32.