There are many women who love sports, which are equal to or more passionate than men, so much so that sports are one of the themes that dominate perfectly. However, others not so much, so sports are not our forte, but that does not mean that we cannot learn. Perhaps all we need is to know what the game consists of, the rules and the basic points that must be taken into account.
Among the reasons that could encourage us to learn what a sport consists of would be: the increase in living with our father, brothers, cousins or partner. Also, we could understand more clearly why that sport makes them overwhelm so much emotion. But perhaps the most motivating reason to understand a sport would be … Not having to wait part time – as in the Super Bowl – to enjoy.
On the occasion of the next Super Bowl, we will give you a small guide to understand American Football and enjoy the «Super Bowl».
What You Should Know About the Game?
The game lasts one hour, divided into 4 quarters of 15 minutes each. But the game can last for up to 3 hours due to the frequency with which the game stops for issues such as: fouls (handkerchiefs), advances, setbacks, and reviews of the plays.
There are 22 members, for each team 11 play on the offensive, and 11 on the defensive.
Before each game, a ‘fly’ is thrown so that the team that wins the fly, choose whether to kick or receive the ball – that is, if it starts with defence or offense; The team that loses chooses its court.
All plays start from the ‘hit line’ (‘scrimmage’), where the two teams are formed. The ball is placed on the field and the player called ‘center’ is the one who starts the service, under the orders of the quarterback or quarterback.
START OF THE GAME
E l defensive team is responsible to start the match with a kick – also known as kick-off – from the A30 so that attackers catch the ball and start their offensive series.
Among the 11 players of each team, there is a quarterback, who is the one who throws the ball or gives it to a teammate (carry) to make a play that can end in a score.
The field measures 100 yards and each move seeks to advance 10 yards. When the team advances 10 yards -or more-, the famous ‘First down’ or ‘First and ten’ is achieved, which means »first chance to advance another ten yards».
Teams only have four opportunities to advance 10 yards and get another down; When a team did not advance the ten yards in their first three possessions, they use the fourth to kick the ball. Thus, although he loses possession, he ensures that the opponent starts his as far as possible.
The rival team to get the ball gets its first down and starts its offensive series.
How to Get Points in The Game?
To get points in favour there are different ways:
- Touchdown: It is when the team travels the pitch and manages to get a player to reach the end zone with the ball, without the ball touching the ground or any of his feet stepping off the field, or just by breaking the imaginary plane of the end zone with the ball; This is how the player scores a touchdown. Give 6 points.
- Extra points: The teams have two options: Extra point, which is when they kick the ball and have to enter the poles, its value is 1 point, or a conversion, which consists of making another play and trying to get 2 more points.
- Field goal: the kicker has to put the ball in the post. Give 3 points.
- Safety: When an offensive player is stopped in his own scoring zone. Give 2 points.
The game is won by those who make fewer mistakes, for this we must avoid losing the ball, there are two main ways to lose possession of it:
- Interception: An intercepted pass is one in which the quarterback (the one who throws the ball) throws a pass and a player from the other team steals it in the air.
- Loose ball (‘fumble’): It is when the ovoid falls from the hands of a player and another from the opposite side (rival player) recovers it.
This makes players enter into a fun battle to recover the ball, so much so that sometimes they manage to resemble cartoons. A ‘loose ball’ can be committed by any player …
Logically, the team that earns the most points wins, however, in case of a tie at the end of the regular time, you have to resort to overtime. In those minutes the team that first scores a touchdown, field goal or safety, is who wins the game and who is awarded the trophy.