Table of contents
- Environmental awareness
- Media and environmental awareness
- Types of media for environmental awareness
- Role of media for environmental awareness
Environmental awareness means being aware of the natural environment and making choices that benefit the earth, rather than hurt it. Some of the ways to practice environmental awareness include: using safe and non-toxic building supplies, conserving energy and water, recycling, activism, and others.
Environmental awareness is to understand the fragility of our environment and the importance of its protection. Promoting environmental awareness is an easy way to become an environmental steward and participate in creating a brighter future for our children.
I feel that environmental awareness makes us realize the pressing need to take immediate action to stop harming the environment and start restoring the damage we have done to it. Unless there is awareness, there is no action or at least no proper action. And this action must start from the individual level and spread through the people and organizations we know.
Once we have a thorough understanding of the environmental issues such as deforestation, environmental pollution, water crisis, global warming, and climate change, loss of biodiversity, etc. Every one of our actions will come out of a place of concern for our surroundings, out of love for mother nature, out of the willingness to contribute towards sustainable development and make a positive change in the world.
Integration of information technology and environmental awareness. Over the past few decades, technologies have made a few great contributions to environmental protection. Renewable technologies have reduced the demand for fossil fuel; computer technologies have enabled paperless offices into a reality and thus decreasing the number of trees used to produce paper. Therefore, I have come to believe that technologies will serve a major role in protecting the environment, both in the present and future. IT plays a vital role in the field of environment education and the dissemination of information.
Environmental technology (envirotech), green technology (Greentech), or clean technology (cleantech) is the application of one or more of environmental science, green chemistry, environmental monitoring, and electronic devices to monitor, model, and conserve the natural environment and resources, and to curb the negative impacts of human involvement. The term is also used to describe sustainable energy generation technologies such as photovoltaics, wind turbines, bioreactors, etc. Sustainable development is the core of environmental technologies.
Media and environmental awareness
As far as the environmental issues are concerned, media either as a risk communicator or as a promoter of data, information, and good practices of any kind, should smooth the progress of people to become more environmentally responsible and cultivate environmental awareness. Additionally, media could help people associate reasons and effects, thus to get informed and to reflect upon the given information, in order to understand the origins and the causes of the major environmental problems. Mass Media plays an important role in creating environmental awareness among people.
All the aforementioned could be accomplished by the use of digital media, and especially the Internet. Firstly, the blending of text and multimedia contributes to the presentation and decoding of complicated situations and events, and secondly, the proper choice of internet-based approach could be low cost and “green”. The power of pictures and videos to illustrate captivates or shock, is undoubted, linked to understanding. Via the Internet, people have instant, cost-free, and unlimited access to a great number of environmental documentaries or professional and amateur videos regarding nature and its protection via apposite websites, like www.youtube.com or similar. Blogs, Wikis, Forums and educational portals: such websites, on the one hand, give access to a vast amount of information regarding the planets and their protection, without any consumption of paper and ink, and on the other hand, provide a virtual space of communication and exchanging of information and ideas, without the burden of traveling. Virtual environments and e-museums: which represent an attractive alternative for the enhancement of environmental awareness, as the user has the opportunity to navigate and sometimes interact with the presented environment.
Types of media for environmental awareness
- Radio happens to be the cheapest and easily accessible. The signals and frequencies of radio are covering almost the whole country. Thus it can be used as a significant medium of creating environmental awareness. The latest drive of radio channel FM 93.5 “MOUNT GHAZIPUR” has created awareness among Delhites regarding the hazards of culminating waste on our environment. The weekly half-hour radio magazine Living Planet tells environment stories from around the world, digging deeper into topics that touch our lives every day;
- Television is another very good mode to communicate environmental issues among the society. Certain television channels like Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, animal planet Channel broadcast exclusively on endangered species, wild and sea life. Doordarshan Channel is being telecasted all over India and has regular programs on Environment. “Earth Matters” focuses on one special environmental problem. It offers information on the sources, explains the consequences of the problem considered and gives suggestions for the solution by changing individual behavior;
- Print media is a powerful ally in educating the public on environmental matters. Newspapers, journals, magazines, etc. play a key role in providing relevant information with required facts and pictures to the community. Articles and analyses explore the environmental awareness in the common man about environmental problems. Sometimes separate column is there for environmental issues;
- Social Media. Today’s young generation makes ample of use of social media and internet platforms. They have emerged altogether as a new form of media. Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp are connecting today’s generation. Certain global environmental issues can be discussed on these platforms continuously. Government agencies and industries are also utilising social media a s a preferred tool of communication with the mass. Green on Facebook: One Page for Eco Resources, Adopt a Tiger Through the World Wildlife Fund, etc are some facebook pages on environment.
Role of media for environmental awareness
- Provides geographical knowledge - Newspapers, radio, television, and even the internet are providing a comprehensive understanding of geographical knowledge to people.What is happening in the world today, which place has been ignored and the relevant representations made through different forms of media produces deep effects on the people;
- Identification of forces affecting nature - Currently, human beings are building an artificial man made environment by over utilising the natural resources in the name of economic and social development. Media can report and educate people about certain forces and activities that adversely affect our environment;
- Conservation of natural resources -Our primary target is not only controlling the wastage of various sources of energy like oil, gas, coal, etc. the main focus should be on certain relative aspects which serve as a means of environmental protection;
- Dissemination of environmental information - Electronic media and print media are a major medium of spreading information about environment among the population. Media educate people about various environmental concerns and ways to address them;
- Vocational information -Media also helps in providing vocational and professional information to a larger group of the community. Recent programs on guidance about conversion of waste and garbage into compost by households to save environment is an illuminating illustration;
- Spreading awareness and civic responsibility -Media create awareness among people and enlighten them about different problems of society. Media educates people about their roles in changing society through certain events and programs. Helps to know how people can contribute towards environmental protection and sustainability and build healthy environment.